Alfredton

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Located south west of the city centre and now a suburb, Alfredton was home to the Ballarat Freezing Works which were erected near the sale yards soon after the first world war to cater for the increased demand for canned meats and also to Munro's Implement Works at an earlier period. A former mining district, Alfredton is now a part residential, part industrial suburb of Ballarat itself but in 1878 it already had 2 hotels, a state school and a church to serve its mining community as well as the large cattle yards. (1)

(1) City of Ballarat Heritage Study (Stage 2) April 2003: Thematic History


George Munro

Will Dyson

Personal tools