Carlton & United Breweries

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Contents

Background

In 1959 Carlton & United Breweries purchased the Ballarat Brewing Company, its brewing rights and the land (but not the 114 BBC hotels or the Dana Street offices). The Lydiard Street frontage become the 'front' of the CUB Brewery.[1]

During the 1980s production of Ballarat Bitter was transferred to the Carlton & United Breweries in Melbourne, with the Ballarat Brewery producing Invalid Stout as its only product.

Carlton & United Breweries ceased brewing at the Ballarat Brewery site on 30 June 1989 and closed the plant.[2] The site as sold to the Ballarat School of Mines in 1994, and is now the SMB Campus of Federation University Australia.


Site

the block bounded by Lydiard Street south, Dana Street and Armstrong Street South.

Also See

Ballarat Brewing Company

External Sites

Ammonia Compressor from used at the Carlton & United Breweries, Ballarat - http://victoriancollections.net.au/items/54e6b6622162ff01240fdd55

Images of the brewery from Lydiard Street South - http://victoriancollections.net.au/items/54e6b42f2162ff01240fb530

References

  1. http://www.ballarat.edu.au/curator/buildings/site_listing_brewery-complex.shtml
  2. http://www.ballarat.edu.au/curator/buildings/site_listing_brewery-complex.shtml



--Clare K.Gervasoni 16:16, 29 April 2015 (AEST)

Personal tools