Hector G. Brickhill

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search



Hector Brickhill was an Associate of the Ballarat School of Mines.


See also

Ballarat School of Mines


Last Saturday a match was played at Bracknell between a Cressy team and White more and Bracknell combined. I understand that the Cressy men had to go short-handed to fulfil the engagement (more than some of our local teams would do), and suffered defeat at the hands of the combination, who managed 1 goal 5 behinds to 3 behinds. 'Bottler' Smith played with the Melbourne team last Saturday and notched a goal. Another Tasmanian, Joe Wilson, captained the team. Still one more. Hector Brickhill has gained fame at Ballarat as a footballer.[1]

THE JUPITER MINE - Mr Hector Brickbill, son of Mr James Brickbill, of this city, has been appointed manager of the Jupiter Mine, West Coast, fair Brickhill studied at the Ballarat School of Mines.[2]

NEWELL HARPER, SHAREBROKER. Member of the Launceston Stock Exchange. The directors of the Jupiter Mining Company have appointed Mr. Hector Brickhill to the position of mine manager. Though only a young man, Mr. Brickhill possesses excellent credentials, and passed very successful examinations at the Ballarat School of Mines. Since leaving this school he has been gaining practical knowledge on the West Coast. He is a son of Mr. James Brickhill, secretary of the City Stock Exchange in this city.[3]

ACCIDENT AT THE WESTERN MINE. - ZEEHAN, Tuesdav, — A young man named Hector G. Brickhill met with a nasty accident in the Western mine to-day. He was working in Simson's shaft, when he received a blow on the face from a hammer. His injuries were dressed, and he went home. It is not anticipated that any serious consequences will result from the accident.[4]

THE WEST COAST. (By Electric Telegraph.) (From Our Special.)
ZEEHAN, Monday. - Mr. Hector Brickhill, son of James Brickhill, and who has been appointed town surveyor, vice Mr. F. Climie, enter» on his duties to-morrow. He is an Associate of the Ballarat School of Mines.[5]

PERSONAL. ... Mr. Hector G. Brickhill, second son of the late Mr. James Brickhill, has just been appointed to fill the post of mining lecturer to the School of Mines (says the Johannesburg' 'Sunday Sun'). Mr. Brickhill is a Tasmanian, a graduate of the School of Mines, Ballarat, and holds first-class certificates in the mining and engineering division; also for mine manager in Tasmania and in the Transvaal.[6]
The Rand Strike - extreme element well PREPARED.
Mr. Hector G. Brickhill, who is at the Springs Mines, Springs, Transvaal, writes to relatives in Launceston in regard to the recent strike as follows, under date March 19: —
The strike had been on for two months before the revolution started. Nearly all the mines had made a start, the underground officials looking after the natives underground. This increased the strikers and led to a series of assaults on the officials and on men who had. returned to work. Things would have drifted back to normal by the men gradually coming back to work, except for intimidation and violence on the part of the more militant of the strikers. On the 10th March the revolution burst out, and it was then evident that the Bolshevik and Communist element amongst the workers had been preparing all along (or some such outbreak. They had a wonderful amount of ammunition, and rifles ready.
This mine being on the extreme eastern end of the Rand did not feel the trouble so much, and we were very fortunate in that we were not attacked, although the rebels held the greater part of Springs township, and their head quarters were not much more than a mile away from us. They had about 60 police hemmed in at the police station, Springs; but although there was a good deal of firing going on they could not take the station, and consequently they were afraid to attack us. We were ready for them, as we had fortified the mine with barbed wire entanglements, barricades, trenches, etc. Fortunately we had a searchlight on our headgear, which swept the country for a two miles radius, and this prevented them surprising us at night. We all had to do picket duty night and day, and several times there were calls to arms and the reserves rushed to the barricades with their rifles, myself being amongst the number. We had some police stationed here, and altogether, mustered between 60 and 70 rifles. The Springs detachment of rebels were expecting reinforcements, and they then in tended to attack us. Fortunately for us these did not arrive, and we were saved from the fate of the officials on the Brakpan mine—about five miles away from us—who, after putting up of good fight against 10 to 1 odds, surrendered, and then were knocked about, and some murdered. We were entirely, besieged for four days, and then a commando of loyal burghers, under General Brits, occupied Springs, took the rebels prisoners, and raised the siege. Other places were very much worse off than us. Brakpan, Benoni, and some of the suburbs of Johannesburg had a tremendous lot of fighting, Fordsburg, a suburb of Johannesburg being the rebel stronghold, and the last place to give in, after being bombarded by artillery, on Tuesday, 14th, after fighting for five days. The rebels wore de pending on the Nationalist burghers assisting them, but instead of doing so the burghers of all political parties rushed in when called up, and by Tuesday there were over 10,000 loyal burghers on the Rand, besides most of the police of South Africa, and they soon made short work of the rebels. The casual ties were fairly heavy. To date the Government forces lost 45 killed and over 250 wounded.
All the officials on the mines were enrolled as special constables, and thus belong to the Government forces and had to take up arms. I have been a special constable since January 14. We are now under martial law, and I even have to have a pass to reside here— residential pass—and permits have to be obtained to go anywhere outside the town.
Our workmen made an armoured car to assist in our defence of the mine, but fortunately it was not required. We had our headgear fortified with sandbags, and this led to the impression amongst the rebels that we had machine guns stationed there. We also had a look out on top of the headgear day and night; this is where the searchlight was stationed. As it is 110 feet high it was of great assistance to us in prevent ing a surprise attack. There were aeroplanes in use suppressing the rebel lion, and we had a visit, from one of them every day. We could hear the explosion of the bombs they dropped in Brakpan and Benoni.
However, we are thankful it is all over. The strike has been called off, and we are starting work in earnest to morrow. There will be a great amount of unemployment and distress after this, particularly as most of the workers have not received any money for over two months. We are weeding out the workers, and no rebels will get a chance of employment on the mines; in fact, most of them will be in gaol.
We are all well now. Our anxiety was mental only. We had sufficient pro visions to last us.[7]


  1. Launceston Daily Telegraph, 31 August 1895.
  2. Tasmanian News (Hobart), 18 September 1899.
  3. Launceston Examiner, 18 September 1899.
  4. Launceston Daily Telegraph, 09 May 1900.
  5. Hobart Mercury 24 December 1901.
  6. North Western Advocate and the Emu Bay Times, 14 June 1911
  7. Launceston examiner, 24 April 1922.

Further Reading

External links

--Clare K.Gervasoni 15:22, 4 January 2015 (EST); --Clare K.Gervasoni 11:44, 24 July 2015 (AEST)

Personal tools