John King

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Background

John King was a wholesale and retail chemical house. As of 1894 the business was situated at 47 Bridge Street. The business was originally founded in 1853 on the Bridge Street site by Messrs Robinson and Cole. In 1874 the business reverted to John King.[1]

The establishment supplied many of the mines with quicksilver and acids, and the woollen mills with dye stuffs and acids. Its proprietary medicines included Clarke's Cough Mixture, Hosking's Eye Ointment.[2]

John King, Ballarat & Vicinity

King was a native of Glasgow, Scotland, and moved to Ballarat at the age of seven. At sixteen he apprenticed in the chemical profession with Dr. Joseph Usher for a period of seven years, before proceeding to purchase his business in 1874.[3]

Also See

Joseph Usher

Pharmaceutical and Medicinal Product Manufacturing

Pharmacy

References

  1. Kimberly, W.B. (1894). Ballarat and Vicinity. Ballarat: F.W. Niven & Co.
  2. Kimberly, W.B. (1894). Ballarat and Vicinity. Ballarat: F.W. Niven & Co.
  3. Kimberly, W.B. (1894). Ballarat and Vicinity. Ballarat: F.W. Niven & Co.



--S.Singaram 14:54, 12 January 2012 (EST)

Personal tools