Lawrence E. Cutter
From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Lawrence E. Cutter established Cutter Bros. Pty. Ltd. - a coach building and vehicle manufacturing business.
In 1877 Cutter was situated at 17-21 Armstrong Street
- Lawrence E. Cutter, born in London in 1830, migrated with his family in 1856 by the ship Arthur The Great, and filled the position of foreman in the coach-building factory of J.D. Morgan and Co. In 1861 he bought out the business, and established the well-known firm of Cutter and Lever. The "Great Leviathan" coach was built by his firm for Cobb and Co. to run between Geelong and Ballarat before the rail way was constructed. This coach, with its 8 or 10 spanking horses, was well known to early colonists. "Cabbage Tree Ned" (Mr E. Devine, who retired to New Zealand), and in after years by Eve Cutter. "The Leviathan" was built to carry 76 passengers, and frequently carried 160.
- ↑ Weekly Times, 05 May 1928.
--Beth Kicinski 11:10, 25 May 2012 (EST)