Magpie

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Magpie is a rural/residential area 6 km south of Ballarat. It is situated on the White Horse Range, east of the Yarrowee River. In mid-1855 there was a big gold discovery, Frenchmans Lead, in the range, and a temporary township developed. (Its site is now mostly submerged by a sewerage treatment facility). [1]

South of that township, at the end of Frenchman's Lane, a Wesleyan church was built in 1857, doubling as a school. A government school, built of brick, opened in 1880. Bailliere's Victorian gazetteer (1879) recorded three quartz mills and identified the main Magpie diggings as White Horse, Cobblers and Long Gully. The population was estimated at 300-400 persons.[2]

Internal Links

Gold Ore Mining

Morton, Rae & Co., bakers and pastrycooks (<1887>)

References

  1. http://www.victorianplaces.com.au/magpie, accessed 07 August 2017.
  2. http://www.victorianplaces.com.au/magpie, accessed 07 August 2017.



--Clare K.Gervasoni 20:43, 7 August 2017 (AEST)

Personal tools