From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Martin Loughlin was made a Life Governor of the Ballarat School of Mines in 1874.
- DEATH OF MR MARTIN LOUGHLIN.
- WEALTHY AND LIBERAL OLD COLONIST.
- Friends of Mr Martin Loughlin—and they are numerous—as well as all those who respect a liberal and enterprising citizen, will experience a feeling of keen regret at the announcement of his death. The sad event took place Inst night at Craig’s hotel, where the deceased gentleman has lain for the Inst few weeks, suffering from acute paralysis. Mr Loughlin's career was unusually eventful. He was born in Kilkenny on the 3rd of November, 1833, so that he would have been 61 years old in November next. He was the son of a small farmer, but was of too roving and adventuresome a disposition to settle down at the old homestead and “run the race” of his ancestors. When but a stripling he left for America, and the ship in which lie sailed was wrecked on the coast of Newfoundland. Fortunately, however, all hands were saved. Not taking kindly to the western world young Loughlin sailed back to the old home, only, however, to again leave it early in 1555 for Australia. He landed in Melbourne and went from there to Geelong, where his stay was, however, limited to a few months. The golden doings in Ballarat proved attractive and Mr Loughlin, having arrived here, interested himself in a mining venture near where the Alfred Hall at present stands, which was known as “ the Gravel Pits.” He then went to Sebastopol and worked for some time at the alluvial diggings. Subsequently he speculated largely in the Great Redan Extended and Band of Hope (after wards known as the Band and Albion mines, which turned out remarkably well. Subsequently, in 1873, Mr Loughlin purchased, on behalf of a syndicate, the famous Egerton mine; purchased and floated the Duke mine into a company, and 15 years ago bought the celebrated and golden Seven Hills Estate at Kingston. This estate, from which immense fortunes have been paid by the Madame Berry, Berry Consols, Lone Hand, and other fabulously rich mines, was pur chased for £5 or £6 an acre, from the late Mr Alex. Wilson, brother to Sir Samuel and uncle of Mr Norman Wilson. More recently the property was floated into a company, Mr Loughlin, however, still retaining a large interest in it. In mining Mr Laughlin's transactions were as gigantic as they were numerous. Although in former years he did a lot of business on 'Change, in later days it was as an investor rather than a market speculator that he was best known. In all our principal mines and lines heat times held large stakes, and promoted very many companies, not a few of which met with great success. At one time almost everything he touched seemed to work in the right direction, and so extensive was the confidence felt in him that there were a great many ever ready to follow his lead.Up to the time of his death his interest in the mines was still maintained. A sa sportsman and owner of racehorses, Mr Loughlin was well known throughout the length and breadth of Australasia. His success was at times phenomenal, and did full justice to his knowledge of horseflesh and thorough business acumen. He was a leading member of the Ballarat Turf Club, in which he ever evinced a deep interest. The first horse owned by him was old Bluey or Blueskin, of which he often rode to hounds. He afterwards owned one of the most successful string of jumping horses, as well as flat racers, which has ever, before or since, been got together in Australia. Almost every prize worth winning on the turf fell to him at different times. With the great grey, Lone Hand, and the wonderful Panic horse, Game, he won the Grand Nationals, the Melbourne Cup with Sheet Anchor, and the Caulfield Cup with Oakleigh, while numberless cups and stakes were won for him by Britisher, Fame, Wymlet, Moolga, Flambrough, St. Helene, Morven, Colebrook, Dundee, Hunts man, The Colonel, Acrobat, Dragon, Sylvester, Don Giovah, Wakawai, Teksiu, Leopold, Blister, Lone Jack, Shanks, and other racers. These horses were trained by Messrs R. Howie and T. Wilson, and the late Thomas Corrigan was the principal jockey. Although a liberal donor to public institutions, Mr Loughlin did not take a prominent part in connection with them. In I886 he announced his candidature for the Wellington Province, but retired from the contest. In 1891 he was induced to contest the Nelson Province against Mr S. Williamson, hut although polling a large number of votes was unsuccessful. The deceased gentleman twice went for trips to the old country. Two years ago he was struck with paralysis, and was at different times under the care of Drs Fitzgerald, Ochiltree, and Mullally, being under the care of Drs Ochiltree and Mullally at the time of his death. He never married, but lived at different times at the George hotel, Lydiard street; the Esplanade, St. Kilda; and at Craig’s hotel. For the last 12 years his extensive business has been ably managed by Mr W. M. Acheson. During that time no less than £6500 has been given by him to various charitable and other movements, including £250 a year to the Ballarat charities. Large sums were also given tn the Roman Catholic Church, of which Mr Loughlin was an adherent. The deceased gentleman, besides his mining property, owns a half-share in the Welltown Station property in Queensland; is the proprietor of the Glengower Estate of 18,000 acres; and has made large advances on station property. Ballarat will miss a generous, enterprising, and remarkable citizen, whose energy and forethought led to great wealth, and whose fame is familiar with all classes in all parts of the colonies. General regret will be felt at his demise.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 24 September 1894.
- ↑ http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~carrick/Ballarat%20a%20to%20b.html accessed 15 March 2013.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 24 September 1894.
--Beth Kicinski 11:46, 3 March 2015 (AEDT)