Origin of the name
Percydale was originally called Fiddler's Creek.
Alluvial gold was mined at Percydale from 1854 and a rush in 1869 saw the population increase to over 2,000 people. The thriving town in 1870s had a school, Chinese Hotel, store and churches. 
Geography and climate
Today little remains of Percydale but Heritage Listed Daly's Cottage, which stands on land owned by Taltarni Wines. It was derelict until the Avoca and District Historical Society took over its management. Daly’s Cottage was constructed Irishman James Daly in 1865. The site houses two separate buildings: the original cottage and stable at the rear. It is long and rectangular, built of vertical timber slabs and round timber posts, divided into three rooms - stable, bedroom & kitchen. The later two-roomed cottage is built of smooth adzed vertical timber slabs. Iron roofing replaces the original shingles on both buildings.