Robert Irwin was a publican at Italian Gully, <1861-1862>
Robert Irwin was publican at the Star Hotel in Italian Gully. He was mentioned as the publican in a newspaper report on mining at Italian Gully in June 1860.. He was granted a publican license at the Smythesdale Licensing Court in June 1861 and June 1862.
In January 1862 he was charged with keeping the hotel open after hours, and not having a license for a bagatelle table:
Constable Trengrove v Robt. Irwin, Star Hotel, Italian Gully, for keeping his house open for the purpose of trade before the hour of four o'clock on the morning of the 12th instant. Constable Musgrove deposed that on the morning of the 12th instant he went to the defendant's hotel at 12 o'clock. The hotel door was open and a number of people in the bar. The defendant and his barman were serving as witness went away. When he returned about one o'clock the door was still open, and people in the bar, who did not belong to the house; fined 20s, and costs. There was a second charge against the defendant for allowing bagatelle lo be played in his public-house without a license, and which was withdrawn.
He appeared as a witness in a court case in August 1863, where he was described as the late proprietor of the Star Hotel.
- ↑ 1860 'ITALIAN GULLY.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 6 June, p. 2, viewed 7 March, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66056277
- ↑ 1861 'ANNUAL PUBLICANS' LICENSE MEETING, SMYTHESDALE.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 22 June, p. 1 Supplement: SUPPLEMENT TO THE STAR., viewed 24 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66340118
- ↑ 1862 'LICENSING COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 21 June, p. 1 Supplement: SUPPLEMENT TO THE STAR., viewed 18 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66324971
- ↑ 1862 'SMYTHESDALE POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 24 January, p. 1 Supplement: SUPPLEMENT TO THE STAR, viewed 7 March, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66330949
- ↑ 1863 'SCARSDALE POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 26 August, p. 4, viewed 7 March, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article72516760