Origin of the name
Sebastopol derived its name from a town and district in the Russian sector of the Crimean Peninsula on the shores of the Black Sea.
… it is instructive to look at Sebastopol, which had much in common, as a subsidiary community, with Ballarat East. As it happened, the main gold stream, followed under the basalt at about Dana Street, turned south beneath the formal street plan and then beyond it. Strikingly it flowed parallel to the edge of the plateau, so that mining proceeded on a narrow line that presaged a ribbon development for housing, shops and institutions. Critically, though, its needs were met for many goods and services by facilities at the centre, let alone corner stores and pubs at the south end of the early grid. Major housing additions were not required: many miners walked or later rode bicycles to work from close by in the West and East. Even so there was a good supply of children for the Redan and Sebastopol State Schools, both opened in January 1875, and sizable congregations at the Anglican's Holy Trinity and the Carmel Welsh Presbyterian churches. Most children of consequence were in Albert Street, which contains some of the oldest surviving Ballarat shops and two 1860s hotels, the Exchange and the Royal Mail. Melbourne House (1872) (on the corner of Albert Street and Birdwood Avenue), bluestone Blythewood Grange (1878) in Grant Street 'The Prince of Wales' store, on the corner of Albert and Rubicon Streets, and the weatherboard office of the famous South Star Mine are all evocative. So are the two large eucalypts in the Marty Busch Reserve, all which remains of the Sebastopol Public Gardens, planted in 1866-7.
Sebastopol was constituted a Borough on 01 November 1864.
A municipal town, with money order and savings bank office and telegraph station, situated on the Yarrowee creek, 100 miles NW of Melbourne, and three miles from the Ballarat railway station. The district is a mining one, but many of the claims are exhausted so far as alluvial workings are concerned. In the town there are about 550 dwellings, ten hotels, two State schools nine churches, two insurance agencies, and a mechanics' institute with library containing upwards of 16000 volumes. Cars run from Ballarat, fare 6d. 
| An old Sebastopol miner writes to us as follows:-|
Within fifteen miles of the township of Ballarat there are an immense number of steam engines, besides some scores of miles of pumps, the value of Which makes up a large total. Nearly all that costly machinery is imported: very few engines are made in the colony; those that are are much superior to imported engines. Engines made for exportation, either in England or Scotland, partake very much of the character of ready made clothes-sloppy. The engines alluded to vary from 5 to 40 horse power; the largest and most powerful in this district is owned by the Cumberland, Durham and Cornish Company on Sebastopol; it cost, delivered on the ground, rather over £1400, twelve months ago, when engines were 25 per cent, cheaper than they are now. Of this vast amount expended in the purchase of machinery, more than 60 per cent, goes out of the colony, and it is estimated by competent judges that 60 per cent, of the entire cost is expended in the workmanship before an engine leaves the manufacturers' yard. Now it appears to me that if engines and pumps could be made in the colony equal to, and as cheap as those imported, that the colony must gain something like the estimated amount of the value of the labor expended in the production of those machines. The question arises, can it be done? The Victoria Foundry on Ballarat has solved the problem; there can now be seen in their yard a 40-horse power horizontal engine, made on the premises, which for excellence of workmanship, strength and design, is not excelled by any imported engine in the. colony. With regard ,to price, it is £400 cheaper than the Cumberland, Durham, and Cornish Company's, and is in no way inferior to it, excepting that the cylinder is two inches less in diameter. The castings of the Ballarat engine are most decidedly superior, cleaner, and stronger; in fact Oakey, Hunt & Opie have produced a better article at a lower price. The dimension of this Ballarat production are – Cylinder, 20 inches diameter; length of stroke, 42 inches; diameter of fly wheel, 16 feet; length of bed plate, 18 feet 6 inches; weight of bed plate, 60 cwt; with two boilers 18 feet long each, by 6 feet 2 inches in diameter. The engine is made strong enough to bear without breaking three times the maximum stain that ever can arise in working. To the enterprise and spirit which have distinguished the Victoria Foundry, Ballarat is indebted for this very important branch of industry, which will doubtless in a very short time find employment for a great number of skilled mechanics, who are now obliged to spend their time in less remunerative pursuits.
[Editorial comment following.] The engine in question, by Messrs Oakey, Hunt & Opie, is a fine specimen of local manufacture, and certainly reflects much credit on the foundry in question. We trust that, as our correspondent suggests, this manufacture may be taken as an earnest of a largely increased amount of local industrial progress in this important department of production.
Sebastopol Mayors (1865–1965)
Geography and climate
Gold Mining Companies
To be sorted
- ↑ Courier Supplement, 10 June 1967.
- ↑ City of Ballarat Heritage Study (Stage 2) April 2003: Thematic History.
- ↑ Borough of Sebastopol Mayor's Report, 1991-2.
- ↑ The Victorian Municipal Directory and Gazetter for 1884, p82.
- ↑ The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), Thursday 24 November 1859, page 2.
- ↑ Jenkins, E.D., Sebastopol Victoria: An Historical Survey of Early Sebastopol, 1864-1964, SP, 1964.