Thomas Stoddart suggested the move from the Ballarat Stock Exchange in Sturt Street to the current Ballarat Mining Exchange in Lydiard Street. Stoddart laid the foundation stone for that building and his large stockbroking business, Stoddart and Binnie, immediately occupied the upstairs rooms facing Lydiard Street North.
- DEATH OF MR. THOMAS STODDART.
- A PUBLIC BENEFACTOR GONE.
- Mr Thomas Stoddart, one of the most prominent and best known mem bors of the Ballarat Stock Exchange died yesterday morning, after a linger, ing illness, at the age of 76 years. The, sad event took place at the deceased gentleman’s late residence, Sturt street, and the cause of his demise was jaundice and a complication of internal dis orders. Mr Stoddart was a native of Roxburgh, Scotland, and was born in 1828. He attended school at Hawick, and at the age of 16 years was apprenticed ; is a joiner. Four years later he received an appointment in his calling at thy Royal Arsenal, Woolwich, and here he assisted in the construction of carriages medicine boxes, etc., until 1853, when he left for Australia, arriving at Port Melbourne in the ship Queen of Arron dale, and landing at Fort Melbourne. Mr Stoddart followed his trade as a joiner in Melbourne for a year, at the end of which time he came to Ballarat in search of gold. He followed the occupation of a miner at Ballarat until 1859, when he went to, Happy Valley but two years later he returned to Ballarat. In 1861 he ceased to work as a miner, and became a mining speculator, and subsequently a sharebroker. He continued in the latter profession with’ little intermission up to the time of his death. He was thus almost thy oldest sharebroker on the Ballarat Stork Exchange, and was chosen to lay the foundation stone of the present Ex change buildings. Mr Stoddart floated more raining companies in Ballarat than almost any other man. If a promising claim was discovered the fender usual!? applied to Mr Stoddart to form a company to have it worked. Not only did he form almost innumerable companies, but ho filled a position on the directs rate of many of them. "When Mr Stoddart left for the old country some years ago he was by repute a wealthy man, but on his return several financial investments which, he made, including the Westport Coal Corn-Company and Queensland copper ventures, and subsequently the City Bank, all of which lie was largely interested in, turned out failures; and it is estimated that he lost about £25,000 in this manner. For years past he took no active part in his business, which had been conducted by Mr T. M. Antcliffe, who has been associated with him for some years, and it is stated that the old-established business will still be carried on by Mr Antcliffe. Mr Stoddart made some munificent gifts to Ballarat statuary. In 1882 He visited his native land, and made a tour of tHe principal resorts on the continent. While in Italy he visited a sculptor’s studio, and was so impressed with the beauty of his work, and the suitability of the statues for a gift, that he thereupon purchased and presented them to Ballarat City. Several thousands of pounds were spent in this direction. Mr Russell Thomson, long since deceased, took great interest in the presentation, and in the course of several letters advised that tho statuary should be placed at certain points in the Botanical Gardens, and his advice was largely taken. Re presentations are there of Spring, Sum mer, Autumn, and Winter, as well as of other subjects equally suitable. Upon the death of Mr Thomson, Mr Stoddart was empowered by the will to make some presentation to the City, and he assisted in procuring the beautiful statuary which now adorns the alcove at the entrance to the Botanical Gardens. This statuary represents the Flight from Pompeii, Modesty, Ruth, Rebecca, Susannah, and Wallace, all of which and highly ornate. On a suggestion being made that a statue of “Robbie” Burns should be placed in a conspicuous portion in the streets of Ballarat, Mr Stoddart lent every assistance to a movement which was thereupon inaugurated. He contributed largely to the fund and was chosen chairman of the committee, and when the work was completed it was he who unveiled the statue of the grout Scottish bard. He also contributed to ward, and supported, a similar movement to do honor to the Irish poet. Thomas Moore, whose statue now stands in Sturt street. More recently a subscription list was opened to place a statue of Shakespeare in Sturt street, and again Mr Stoddart came forward and assisted, but it was most unfortunate that the whole of the funds; representing some hundreds of pounds, should have been absorbed in the downfall of the Mercantile Bank. In honor of what was done for Ballarat by Mr Stoddart, a bust representation of him was some years ago placed in a prominent position in the City Hall. Ten or eleven years ago, in recognition of his many services, the Government gazetted Mr Stoddart a justice of the peace. He was a member of the Old Colonists’ Association, in the affairs of which he took a keen interest. Out of respect to the deceased the fines at the City Hall, Stock Exchange, and Old Colonists’ Association were flying at half-mast yesterday. Mr Stoddart. who was a bachelor, commanded considerable respect among all circles in Ballarat, not only for his munificent gifts, but for his many social qualities. His private benefactions were very numerous, and in this respect his loss will be greatly felt by many. He was a quiet, thoughtful gentleman, and his familiar figure will be greatly missed by all sections of the community. The funeral of the deceased gentle man will leave his late residence. 321 Sturt street, at 12 o’clock to-day.
Thomas Stoddart gifted 12 Carrara marble statues situated in the Ballarat Botanical Gardens. They were unveiled in the Ballarat Botanical Gardens by the Governor of Victoria on Empire Day 1884.
William B. Withers wrote of the Old Colonists' Association:
- The objects of the association are to form a bond of brotherhood among those whose long connection with commercial or mining pursuits on the Victorian goldfields so ultimately associate them with the early history of the colony; men to whose indomitable energy and perseverance Ballarat and other mining centres are so largely indebted for their development and material prosperity; some of whose names, also, are closely identified with that memorable and sanguinary struggle for freedom and constitutional liberty in ’54. To gather together in one fold those who survive these stirring times; to meet occasionally in social and friendly intercourse; to relieve our brethren who are overtaken by sickness or affliction; to pro vide the shelter of a home for those pioneers of the goldfields whom the reverses of for tune have deprived of the means of procuring the comforts of life in their declining years; to assist the widow and succor the orphan; to mutually cheer and support each other in our temporary trials and vicissitudes as we journey onward to the grave; and, lastly, to render a tri bute of respect to the memory of a departed brother, by following his remains to their final resting place. The receipts from all sources during the past-year, amount to £292 4s 9d. Expenditure (including £65 17s 6d for relief votes and donations to local charitable institutions), £224 18s 4d. In crease of fuuds for the year, £67 6s sd. The total general receipts to date (19th August, 1886), amount to £463 63 l0d. The expenditure, £316 14s 6d. Balance to credit of association, £146 12s 4d. There are 122 contributing and 139 honorary members — including four ladies; total, 261. The qualification for membership is residence on any of the Victorian goldfields for not less than twenty-five years. The fees for admission are — For contributing member, 4s entrance; contributions, 6d per week, for twelve months, 31 per week afterwards; yearly honorary members, 10s per annum, payable in advance; life honorary members, £2 2s. The site for a hall and offices, comprising 2r 2 2 l0p, situated in Camp street, was gazetted, as reserved for the association, on the 9th July, 1886. The site is one of the oldest local landmarks, being a portion of the old Government Camp, and as such forms an appropriate gift to an association composed of Old Identities of Ballarat. Owing to some obstacle existing, which prevented the Lands Department granting the land to a body calling themselves ‘Old Identities,’it was resolved, at a special meeting of the association, held on the 18th May last, to alter the name to ‘The Old Colonists’ Association of Ballarat.’ Thus far Mr Fraser in 1887. The office bearers for the current year I887-8 are : President, John Paul Murray; Vice-presidents, James William Graham and Thomas Stoddart; treasurer, Daniel Fern; trustees, William Irwin, J. W. Graham, and John McCafferty; council, Charles Dyte, James Ward, Frederick Ramsden, and James Vallins; honorary solicitor, Charles Salter; medical officer, Dr Holthouse; dispenser, W. H. Malyon; auditors, Thomas Richards and David Christy; bankers, Bank of New South Wales; secretary, John Fraser. Since Mr Fraser’s communication of 1887 great changes have come to the association. The Camp street site has been given up, and a much more valuable site in Lydiard street obtained, namely, that on which stood the old bluestone dungeon known originally as the local sub treasury, aud lately as the den of the mining registrar. Upon this site the association has erected, from designs by Mr A. G. Legge, a two-story-building, as an Old Colonists’ Hall, the following description of which I take from The Star columns: —“The lower portion is built in Waurn Ponds freestone, while the upper part is of brick, cemented, stained dark, and tuck-pointed. The centre bay is supported by two three-quarter columns, with lonic caps, which are surmounted by a pediment on which rests an excellent cast of the Ballarat coat of arms. There are four other bays, which are carried by partly fluted pilasters, with Corinthian caps. The keystone of the arch that caps the main en trance displays, in marble, a very excellent representation of the head of the president of the association, Mr John Murray, J.P. The space within the walls has been utilised to the best advantage. On the either side of the ample hall that leads to the stairway are — on the ground floor, shops, which are already occupied. The first floor is devoted entirely to the uses of the association. The principal room is the hall, where the meetings will be held. This is 44 feet x 33 feet, and is 17 feet high. Opposite this are the committee room (14 feet x 16 feet) and secretary’s room (14 feet x 17 feet 6 inches), while provision is also made for a kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom, &c. Fronting the street are two large rooms that can be let for offices or utilised for club purposes. The first floor is reached lay a wide stone stair case, handsomely balustered, which termi nates on a spacious landing, over the centre of which is a dome, with cornice and ornaments. The walls around are panelled with marble slabs, on which the names of officers and other prominent members will be inscribed from time to time. Ample provision has been made for lighting and ventilating the rooms, while the requirements of the Central Board of Health in the matter of providing means of egress have been carefully attended to. The gas fittings are unique in pattern, and very handsome. The graining of the doors and windows has been done most artistically, and the colors have been selected with a view to their thorough harmonisation. In fact, the whole of the work has been carried out in a thorough and tasteful manner, and re flects considerable credit on all connected with it. The contractors for the work were Messrs Whitelaw and Atkinson, Irving and Glover, Reynolds, and J. Donaldson. The building has costsa trifle over £4ooo.” On the 30th August, 1888, the building was formally opened, and 150 guests sat down to a feast in the hall, under the chairman ship of Mr Murray, the president of the association. The Star reports that he “had on his right hand the Hon. J. L. Dow, ALL. A., Minister of Lands; the Hon. D. Ham, M.L.C.; and Mr J. M‘Donald, mayor of the city. Amongst others present were the Hons. Henry Gore and J. B. Macpherson, M’s.L-C.; Dr Rose, and Messrs D. Gaunson, C. E. Jones, R. T. Vale, J. Russell, and E. Murphy, M’s.L.A.; Mr N. Melville, M.L.A., of Sydney; Mr Elsworth, mayor of Ballarat East; Archdeacon Julius, and other leading citizens. Apologies received from the follow ing were read by Mr C. Dyte:—His Excellency the Governor; the Hon. D. Gillies, Premier; the Hon. A. Deakin, Chief Secre tary; the Hon. Hy. Cuthbert, Minister of Justice; the Hons. W. C. Smith, M.L.A.; Mr M. H. Davies, Speaker; Messrs L. L. Smith, M.L.A.; J. N. Wilson, R. M‘Gregor, and Dr Holthouse. The gathering broke up shortly after midnight with the National Anthem.” This is all a sign of life in the association, whose roll of members numbered 505 at the end of August, I888, when the finances showed a credit balance of £377 193 3d for the general or relief fund. The building cost £4074 13s 8d, raised by loan for seven years, at 7 per cent, per annum, the annual revenue from the four shops alone being £46S, whilst the whole of the upper storey is still available for revenue purposes. It is proposed that an Old Colonists’ Club shall be formed, and already (November, 1888) all of the required 50 club members’ names have been obtained, so that the completion of the busi ness would seem to be mere matter of brief time now. If the project be carried out the premises will be duly licensed as a club hotel, and will be provided with ordinary club accommodation.
- ↑ http://users.ncable.net.au/~jburrell/link/pdfs/stoddart.pdf, accessed 22 October 2014.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 21 February 1905.
- ↑ http://users.ncable.net.au/~jburrell/link/pdfs/stoddart.pdf, accessed 22 October 2014.
- ↑ http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~carrick/Ballarat%20a%20to%20b.html accessed 15 March 2013.
- ↑ The Argus, 21 FEbruary 1905.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 21 February 1905.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 17 November 1888.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found