Andrew Anderson was born in Scotland in 1832, and he arrived in Australia in 1851 on the Morgapor.
He arrived in Ballarat in 1855, establishing a boot business in Main Road, which was taken over by A.J. Pittard.
Anderson was an early member of the Ballarat Fire Brigade, and he chaired the first meeting of the Ballarat Mechanics' Institute. He was President of the Ballarat School of Mines Council from 1889-1910, and was a member of the Ballarat Gas Company provisional Committee. On retiring from business Anderson established the Wendouree Tannery, which he carried on till his death. He was listed as a member of the Ballarat Club in 1902. At the time of his death Anderson was living at Wendouree Parade.
Anderson died at the age of 78 on 10 August 1910, and is buried at Ballarat New Cemetery.
- ↑ ’’Huxtables Ballarat Directory for the Year 1858’’, page 54. [Federation University Australia Historical Collection.]
--C.K.Gervasoni 21:14, 11 April 2013 (EST)