Ballarat College of Advanced Education

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search

History

The Ballarat College of Advanced Education was formed by the merging of the State College of Victoria at Ballarat (SCVB) and the Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education (BIAE). The parent body of BIAE was the Ballarat School of Mines, founded in 1870 to train personnel for mining activities. The first awards at diploma level were made in 1896 in the branches of English, Metallurgy and Geology. Over the years the range of courses broadened to include Art, Physics, Business Studies, Humanities and Librarianship. The tertiary division of the School of Mines was relocated to Mount Helen in 1970. The SCVB was established in 1925 by the Education Department as the Ballarat Teachers' College. It was one of two provincial teachers' colleges to be established. The first courses were concerned with primary teaching and manual arts but later the subject areas of Physical Education, Environmental Sciences, Music, Art and Craft became major strengths. The merger took place in 1976 and by 1980 all staff were located at the Mount Helen Campus. [1]

Also See

Ballarat Institute of Advanced Education

Ballarat School of Mines

Ballarat Teachers' College

References

  1. BCAE Prospectus 1988



--Clare K.Gervasoni 12:26, 19 April 2020 (AEST)

Personal tools