- There was also a Beehive Hotel at Sailors' Falls.
The Beehive Hotel was a hotel in Ballarat East, Victoria, 1862-1889.
The first Beehive Hotel was next to the Town Hall Hotel but both were burnt to the ground in 1862. The new Beehive Hotel was built on the site of the two hotels.
On 29 June 1888, the Licensing Court determined that this hotel and another 42 should be de-licensed. This process was legally challenged by Richard Woofe of the Robert Burns Hotel. The owners undertook a major renovation of the premises, and renamed it the Sir Henry Barkly Hotel in June 1889. When the Licensing Court met again to decide on hotel closures, the hotel was kept and was still open in 1943.
The hotel was offered for sale in June 1864:
MONDAY, 27th. JUNE. To Parties in search of an Hotel, Doing a First-class Trade. VALUABLE FREEHOLD ALLOTMENT. CHAS. DYTE has received instructions from Mr Stower to sell by public auction, on the premises, corner of Barkly street and Main road, on Monday, the 27th June, at twelve o'clock sharp. The very desirable Freehold, on which is erected THE BEEHIVE HOTEL, &c. The Auctioneer deems it unnecessary to say much in connection with this valuable and well-known property, having a frontage of 73 feet to the Main road, a Corner Allotment to Barkly street, contiguous to the Police Court; has an extensive Bar, 2 Dining rooms, 4 private Sitting-rooms, 14 Bedrooms, Kitchens, Out-housea, Stabling, &c. Further particulars for terms, &c, may be obtained at the Hotel, or of the Auctioneer. CHAS. DYTE. Auctioneer.
- In 1862-1863 the publican was John Stower
- In December 1874 the publican was John W. Challenger.
- In April 1876 the licence was transferred from John Challenger to Daniel Hicks
- In December 1887, the publican, Jessie M. Burford, had her licence renewed with conditions.
- In June 1888 the licencee was Sarah Ann Burford
- In June 1888 the hotel was described as An old wooden building, 21 rooms, with the exception of three none of them, in his opinion, fit to be occupied, especially up stairs. It was fairly well conducted, but the house was in a state of decay.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Hargreaves, John. Ballarat Hotels Past and Present, pg. 12, 1943, Ballarat
- ↑ Hargreaves, John. Ballarat Hotels Past and Present, pg. 6, 1943, Ballarat
- ↑ 1864 'Advertising', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 23 June, p. 3. , viewed 20 Oct 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66345902
- ↑ 1862 'LICENSED VICTUALLERS' ASSOCIATION.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 7 August, p. 4, viewed 29 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66326137
- ↑ 1863 'BALLARAT EAST LICENSING BENCH.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 18 June, p. 4, viewed 4 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article72515106
- ↑ 1874 'BALLARAT EAST LICENSING BENCH. ANNUAL MEETING.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 15 December, p. 4, viewed 26 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208250314
- ↑ The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924) Tue 4 Apr 1876 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/200229291?
- ↑ 1887 'BALLARAT LICENSING COURT.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 9 December, p. 2. , viewed 16 Sep 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article209209691
- ↑ The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924) Tue 26 Jun 1888https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/209443734?
- ↑ The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924) Tue 26 Jun 1888 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/209443734?
--Mjeffs 15:13, 29 October 2019 (AEDT)