Bull Inn Hotel
The Bull Inn Hotel was a hotel near Ballarat, Victoria, <1879-1915.
In May 1908 the License Reduction Board held hearings into closing the hotel:
BULL INN. Bull Inn Hotel Nintingbool — Owner James Orr, licensee Charles Wm Mather. Mr Pearson appeared for both parties Inspector Balchin, said the hotel was situated on the Smythesdale road. It was a single-storeyed brick building, in fair repair. A small portion at the back was wood. It was kept clean, and was fairly., well furnished. The rent was 30s per week, and the assessment £40. The license was transferred to the present licensee in May, 1907. There were two convictions against the former licensee, Mrs Orr, for Sunday trading and refusing to open the bar when asked to do so by the police. During the time Mrs Orr was in the hotel, it was not well conducted. The present licensee had been fined £5 for having the bar door open during prohibited hours. With this exception, the present licensee had conducted the place well. In his opinion, the hotel was not required. To Mr Pearson—Even if there were a reduction in the number of hotels at Smythesdale, he still thought that the Bull Inn would not be required. Constable Olney gave evidence with regard to the distances between the hotels in the locality. The hotel could be done without. James Orr, owner of the hotel, now residing at Haddon. He bought the place for £650. There were 11 acres of land attached. There was a good roadside traffic done at the hotel, also accommodation for travelling stock. All the stock from Colac and Beeac for the Ballarat markets used the road past the hotel. Charles Wm. Mather, licensee, gave similar evidence. There were three or four coaches which called daily at the hotel. Christopher Tudor,, of Cherry Tree Flat, Ross Creek; Rudolph Hally, herds man and A. Butterworth, farmer also gave evidence in favor of the retention, of the hotel. Decision was reserved.
On 22 March 1915, the hotel was included on a list of hotels to be deprived of their licenses. This list was complied by the Licenses Reduction Board in Melbourne. Licensing district hearings for hotels on this list were to be held at the Ballarat Supreme Court on 11 May. The hotel was delicensed in November 1915, and the court paid £280 compensation.
- In December 1879 the publican was Sarah McVitty.
- In 1903 the licensee was James Orr.
- Before May 1907 the licensee was Mrs. Catherine Orr, wife of the owner, James Orr.
- After May 1907 the licensee was Charles William Mather.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1908 'BULL INN.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 7 May, p. 4, viewed 9 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article205464050
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 1915 'LICENSES REDUCTION BOARD.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 23 March, p. 10, viewed 13 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1504941
- ↑ 1915 'LICENSING ACT 1915.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 10 November, p. 15, viewed 10 September, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1578545
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 1879 'POLICE INTELLIGENCE.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 17 December, p. 4. , viewed 03 May 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199821791
- ↑ 1903 Victorian Electoral Roll, Ballarat, Smythesdale