Duchess of Kent Hotel
From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
The Duchess of Kent Hotel was in Ballarat, Victoria, <1857-1862>
In 1858 the publican was fined for having an unlicenced bagatelle table:
Chas. Scorer, Duchess of Kent Hotel, for having an unlicensed bagatelle table. The defendant said the town clerk had told him the police would not interfere until certain correspondence between the Government and the Municipal Council had ended. The magistrate said the Municipal Council had no jurisdiction over licensed houses, and if publicans were fools enough to listen to such advice as that mentioned they must take the consequences. Under the circumstances, however, a mitigated fine of 10s only would be imposed.
- In May 1859 A meeeting of storekeepers and other inhabitants of the Main Road was held yesterday (Thursday) evening, at the Duchess of Kent Theatre, to "nominate a deputation to convey the memorial to Government," &C : The meeting, which was convened by circular, was attended by about forty gentlemen, all well known as representing property in Ballarat East. The chair was taken by Mr R. B. Gibbs.
- In 1856 the licence was granted to William Robinson
- In 1858 the publican was Charles Scorer.
- In July 1859 a night licence was granted to Charles Scorer
- In 1862 the publican was William Robinson.
- In 1870 the landlord was Henry Glenister,
- In September 1869 Henry Glennister, landlord of the Duchess of Kent hotel, Main street, was summoned, and appeared on remand of the case from Friday, viz., for allowing prostitutes to assemble and remain in his licensed house
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Licencing Court for Publicans," The Star, Thursday 19 June 1862, pg. 4, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66324943, (accessed January 19, 2014)
- ↑ 1862 'ANOTHER DESTRUCTIVE FIRE AT BALLARAT.', Gippsland Guardian (Vic. : 1855 - 1868), 5 December, p. 3, viewed 8 November, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article109906184
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 1858 'EASTERN POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 13 December, p. 4, viewed 20 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66332732
- ↑ The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864) Fri 27 May 1859 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66053282?
- ↑ The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864) Sat 6 Dec 1856 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66040038?
- ↑ The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864) Thu 7 Jul 1859 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66054005?
- ↑ The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924) Tue 9 Aug 1870 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/218797445?
- ↑ The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924) Tue 21 Sep 186 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/112854531?