F. W. Commons
Frederick William Commons was born in Linton, Victoria in 1860, the son of Richard Commons and Elizabeth Jane Barkla. At the age of 16 he went to England to undergo technical training in stone masonry. He subsequently returned to Victoria and established Commons Bros., a marble and monumental enterprise situated at the corner of Creswick Road and Webster Street in Ballarat.
Commons was an active member of the Ballarat community. He was the Honorary Secretary of the Chamber of Commerce, as well as the Captain of both the Ballarat Rowing Club and the Rifle Club. He was also a prominent Freemason, holding the position of Worshipful Master of the Orion Lodge.
- ↑ Rogers, J. W. F. (ed.). (c. 1887). The Australasian Federal Directory of Commerce, Trades & Professions. Melbourne: J. W. F. Rogers.
- ↑ Burrel, J. (2008), Frederick William Commons, http://users.ncable.net.au/~jburrell/gen/hutchins/com_wil.html
- ↑ Kimberly, W.B. (1894). Ballarat and Vicinity. Ballarat: F.W. Niven & Co.