George A. Lemke

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Background

George A. Lemke was born at North Melbourne in 1891, the son of Arthur Lemke. George was educated at Middle Park State School. He settled at Ballarat in 1911, and opened a manufacturer of verandah blinds, marques, tents, flags, etc. In 1920 the business was located at 18 Doveton Street South.[1]

Lemke was a successful baritone vocalist and won many competitions.

George A. Lemke & Co. made the replica Eureka Flag that hangs in the Old Colonists' Association.[2]

References

  1. McCallum, M. (1916) Ballarat & District Citizens & Sports, Ballarat.
  2. Ballarat Courier, 16 February 1965.



--H. Scarpe 13:24, 25 August 2011 (EST); --Clare K.Gervasoni 20:25, 15 July 2018 (AEST)

Personal tools