Golden City Hotel

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search
Golden City Hotel, 2019. Photo Marilyn Jeffs
Golden City Hotel, Federation University Historical Collection (Cat. NO. 3627)

The Golden City Hotel was a hotel in Ballarat, Victoria.



Also known as the Bakery Hill Hotel, the Bakery Hill Tavern and the Battlers Tavern (2011), the name of this hotel reverted to the Munster Arms again in October 2016.

Several new buildings are now near completion in the town. The Munster Arms hotel, at the corner of Victoria and Humffray streets, is a plain two-storied brick building, designed by Mr Caselli, and built by Taylor and Ellis, for £900. Brophy’s new hotel, at the corner of Sturt and Doveton streets, is one of the handsomest elevations in Ballarat. It is in three stories, cemented with abundant enrichments, and is still further embellished with a very elegant verandah and balcony. This building is from a design by Mr Caselli, and was built by Seeley, Tunbridge, McDonald, Reynolds, and Jones, at a cost of £2000. The same architect prepared the design for the two-storied premises in brick cemented, just erected by Button, Thornton, and Rennie, for Mr Magee, in Armstrong street. This frontage is 30 feet, including a built over way-right. The elevation is about 30 feet also, and is plain and neat. The same architect has prepared the design for two-storied premises in Bridge street for Mr Bruun. These will consist of a double-fronted shop to harmonise with the premises already erected there, and will complete a hand some block. The builders are Hastie and Dawson, for £450; frontage 19 feet, and elevation 36 feet.[1]



The Golden City Hotel is on the southeast corner of Sturt Street and Dawson Street, Ballarat. The first hotel on this site was the Adelphi Hotel, from 1856 to 1890's when the name was changed.


In 1917 the hotel was issued with a special permit to serve alcohol with meals between 6.00pm and 8.00pm.[2]

Community Involvement

Works Produced

Workplace Relations

The People


See also



  1. Ballarat Star, 12 March 1870.
  2. 1917 'BALLARAT LICENSING COURT.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 19 January, p. 4, viewed 30 January, 2014,

Further Reading

External Links

Personal tools