James Darby

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search

James Darby was a builder whose premises (according to the Australasian Federal Directory) were located on Sturt Street, Ballarat.[1]

He died in 1912.


Obituary

From the Adelaide Mail, November 23, 1912:

Deceased, who was 81 years of age, arrived in Ballarat in the early fifties. One of the first contracts undertaken by him was the construction of the 'plank road' connecting Ballarat East with the northern boundary of what is now known as Buninyong Shire. His line of planks carried for many years the heavy traffic between Geelong and Ballarat, and was finally replaced by ordinary road metal. Mr. Darby, who left a widow and family, was a member of the Ballarat Exhibition Committee, the Old Colonists' Association, Oddfellows' fraternity, and other bodies. He was one of the founders of the old Loyal Liberal Association. He had been prominently associated with local politics for nearly 50 years.[2]


This entry may be a misprint of James Darly.


Also See

Old Colonists' Association

References

  1. Rogers, J. W. F. (ed.). (c. 1887). The Australasian Federal Directory of Commerce, Trades & Professions. Melbourne: J. W. F. Rogers.
  2. 1912 'REAL PROPERTY.', The Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1912 - 1954), 23 November, p. 1 Section: SECOND SECTION., viewed 10 December, 2013, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article58184228



--Beth Kicinski 10:11, 20 December 2011 (EST); --Clare K.Gervasoni 17:51, 27 March 2021 (AEDT)

Personal tools