John Bracher was a publican in Ballarat, Victoria, <1866-1868>.
Bracher was the publican at the Suburban Hotel in 1866:
A REGULAR CURE. "Through want of timely care, thousands have been knocked into a Cock'd Hat, by not looking to their good health." THE Exhilarating Draughts prepared by J. B., of B.S. are unparalleled for their pureness of spirit and genuine quality, and are warranted to cure the "Dumps", "Blues","Molycoddles", and "Papsilalles", besides many other qualms too expensive to mention. JOHN BRACHER, of Suburban Hotel, Buninyong, would particularly draw the attention of Patients to the necessity of taking his Draughts at the Suburban, where civility and attention are always to be found. N.B.-There's a saving in taking a big bottle.
In 1871 he is in the insolvency court after he took over the Theatre Royal in Ballarat:
John Bracher, of Melbourne, sharebroker. Causes of insolvency-High costs, losses sustained by being lessee of the Theatre Royal, Ballarat, and the cafe attached thereto, and depression in business. Liabilities. £1,382 14s. 4d. ; assets, £10 : deficiency, £1,37214s. 4d. Mr. Jacomb, official assignee.
Amongst the certificates granted to-day at the Insolvent Court might be mentioned that of John Bracher, late a publican at Ballarat.
In 1873 he is back in Buninyong where he is Captain of the Fire Brigade. A newspaper report in January 1875 about a robbery at the Buninyong Estate Company, still names him as publican of the Suburban Hotel.
- ↑ Pioneer Index Victoria 1836-1888, Index to Births, Deaths, and Marriages in Victoria, 1856 Marriages, Ref. No. 3056, Macbeth Genealogical Services, 1998
- ↑ 1866 'Advertising.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 29 March, p. 3, viewed 29 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article112868389
- ↑ 1868 'NEWS AND NOTES.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 13 April, p. 2, viewed 28 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article113602522
- ↑ 1871 'NEW INSOLVENTS.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 23 March, p. 5, viewed 29 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5844828
- ↑ 1871 'MELBOURNE.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 9 September, p. 3, viewed 29 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article197565773
- ↑ 1873 'COUNTRY NEWS.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 9 December, p. 9, viewed 29 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5877141
- ↑ 1875 'No title.', The Ballarat Courier (Vic. : 1869 - 1878; 1914 - 1918), 28 January, p. 2, viewed 29 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article191556987