John Brooksbank was a publican in the Ballarat area, <1858-1859>.
John Brooksbank arrived in Ballarat in September 1851. In March 1853 he was listed as a jury member at trial at the Buninyong General sessions.
The Ballarat Old Identities Medallion presented to John Brooksbank is still in existence - see the medallion at https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/554f0c0b2162f114105b6302
- "JAMES ODDIE & CO. have received instructions from the Mortgagees, to sell I by auction at their rooms, Dana street, on Thursday, 20th September, at twelve o'clock, All that desirable properly known as the Halfway House Hotel, Together with all that piece or parcel of land situate in the parish of Cardigan and county of Grenville, containing 34 acres 1 rood 26 ½ perches, part of allotment 1, section 6, of said parish, situated on the Ballarat and Smythesdale road, and recently occupied by Mr J. Brooksbank. The property consists of a spacious stone building one story high, strong and substantially built, the internal fittings and arrangements are neat and complete. The house possesses all requisite accommodation for a respectable country hotel. In addition are stockyards, stables &c, all well and securely fenced. Terms at Sale.
- "RARE OPPORTUNITY.-FOR SALE the BLACK BULL HOTEL, Lyons street. The proprietor of the above hotel being about entering into another line of business, begs to call the attention of parties looking for a safe and profitable investment, the above having undergone thorough repairs, and is now in good working order and doing a fair share of business. The conditions will, be half cash, balance six, nine, and twelve months. Apply, J. Brooksbank, proprietor, on the premises.
- ↑ 1853 'BUNINYONG GENERAL SESSION.', Geelong Advertiser and Intelligencer (Vic. : 1851 - 1856), 22 March, p. 1 Edition: DAILY., Supplement: SUPPLEMENT TO THE GEELONG ADVERTISER AND INTELLIGENCER, viewed 12 May, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article94358465
- ↑ 1859 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 28 May, p. 2, viewed 12 May, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66053306
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 20 September 1860.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 22 October 1864.
Portrait of John Brooksbank - https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/55835ed52162f11b8cbc966b
--Clare K.Gervasoni 11:45, 11 May 2015 (AEST)