Mr Jonathan Robinson, late of Ascot street, Ballarat, whose decease occurred on Friday last, was another of Ballarat’s old identities, of whom the number is fast diminishing. Arriving in Melbourne in the early fifties, he followed his trade as an engineer, but was soon after attracted to the gold fields of Ballarat, where he was first associated with the Victoria Foundry as manager, and later as engineer and manager of the Union Foundry, belonging to J. Hickman, of Drummond street, with which he remained for a period of 27 years. At this foundry many large pumping plants and engines were turned out for various mining companies of Victoria and else where. The large 70-inch cylinder Cornish beam pumping engines and plant at the Berry No. 1 Company, Allendale, the pumping plant and engines at the Hepburn Estate mines, and many other large mining plants were designed and made at the foundry under his supervision. Those plants were the largest of their time in the colonies. He was connected with the work of the Ballarat School of Mines from its inception in 1870. and was one of the examiners in engineering and kindred subjects at the school until the year 1895, since when all the school examinations have been conducted by the Education Department. The late Mr Robinson was also one of the trustees of the first Australian Juvenile Industrial Exhibition of 1878, and until the time of his death was one of its most ardent workers. He was also recognised as being a leading authority on all subjects appertaining to engineering. He leaves a widow and grown-up family of two sous and three slaughters.
John B. Robinson, son
- ↑ The School of Mines Ballaarat: Descriptive papers relating to the institution by the special reporter of "The Ballarat Star", 1875.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 20 June 1906/
--C.K.Gervasoni 09:53, 10 March 2011 (EST)