Joseph F. Usher M.D., L.A.H.D. lectured in Botany at the Ballarat School of Mines from 1879 to 1891 and 1895 to 1919.
- Our Ballarat correspondent telegraphs: — Dr. Usher, who had lived at Ballarat for the past 40 years, died yesterday at his residence in Doveton-street. The deceased gentleman was 77 years of age. Mr. William Henry Wooldridge, a well-known mining manager, and an old pioneer of Ballarat, died yesterday. The deceased gentleman was 80 years of age. He arrived in Victoria in 1852, and since then had lived nearly all the time in Ballarat.
The funeral of Dr Joseph Francis Usher took place yesterday. His re mains were removed from his late residence at 9.30, and conveyed to the Ballarat Old Cemetery. The funeral, according to the wish of deceased being private. only immediate relatives and a few old friends being present. The coffin of plain polished oak, with only the inscription place, was borne by Ex-Captain Marsh, Captain Richards, and Firemen W. Daw, and C. Leggo. and the pall-bearers were Dr R. Scott, Dr Morrison, and Dr Champion, Professor Mica Smith, Messrs W. J. Coghlan, T. A. Robertson, J. M. Bickett and W. T. Glenn. Services at the house and grave side were conducted by the Very Rev Father Shiel, assisted by Fathers Close and Coughlin. Mr Steve Wellington was the undertaker.
- APPOINTMENTS.-The following appointments are notified in the Government Gazette of Friday: - The Right Rev. James A Goold, the Very Rev. Laurence Sheil, John Andrew Forbes, Joseph Francis Usher, and James O'Meara, to be the trustees of the land at Ballarat East reserved for the use of the Roman Catholic Church; ...
- ↑ http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~carrick/Ballarat%20a%20to%20b.html accessed 15 March 2013.
- ↑ Bendigo Advertiser, 17 July 1909.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 20 July 1909.
- ↑ Kimberly, W.B. (1894). Ballarat and Vicinity. Ballarat: F.W. Niven & Co.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 02 June 1862.