Origin of the name
Maryborough was originally named Simons ranges, after the Simpsons pastoralists, it was renamed by James Daly, Assistant Gold Commissioner, after his Irish birthplace. Maryborough became a borough in 1857 and a city in 1961. 
The Scottish Simpson Brothers, pastoralists from NSW, were the first white settlers to the Maryborough area, they settled on the banks of the Loddon River, a few miles north of Carisbrook.  The Dja Dja Wurrung aborigines called the area Tuaggra but the Maryborough district was first settled as early as 1840 by the Scottish Simson brothers, who began sheep farming in the district. The town site was surveyed in 1854, with a police camp, Methodist Church and hospital amongst the first infrastructure. When gold was found, the population quickly grew and by 1856 there were up to 53,000 people living in the district. Maryborough was named after Commissioner James Daly’s Irish birthplace. Land sales commenced in 1856, and Maryborough became the administrative and commercial centre of the area. The town became a borough in 1857. The last gold mine in Maryborough closed in 1918. In 1924 the Maryborough Knitting Mills opened, which established the town as a centre for the wool industry. Maryborough became a city in 1961.
Maryborough municipility was proclaimed on 28th March 1857. The first election was held on May 4th 1857 and resulted in seven councillors being elected Alexander McLandress being elected chairman and D.K.Campbell, M.Garland, F.Fowler, D. Taylor Levy and Roberts councillers.  Maryborough was subdivided into three wards 1887 and decalred a city in 1961.
Geography and climate
Maryborough Agriculture Society - Maryborough Field Naturalists Society - Maryborugh Highland Society - Maryborough Ladies Benevolent Society - Maryborough Mutual Protection Society - Music and Drama Society - Shakespeare Society - Temperance Society
Maryborough Butter Factory (Maryborough District Co-operative Butter Factory Company Limited)
In the European style the Italianate buildings face a small square, known as McLandress Square. The imposing Victorian post office was built in 1877 as a post office, courthouse and sub-treasury. The town hall was built in 1887 and the courthouse in 1892-93.
Maryborough School 404 - Maryborough East School 2828 - Maryborough High School - Maryborough Technical School 7222 - Church of England School 411 - Catholic School 445 - Farleigh Ladies College 302 - St Augustines Primary School - Highview College
- ↑ Blake, L. Place names of Victoria. Melbourne: Ruby. 1977.
- ↑ Nunn, H. V. Maryborough Victoria 1854 - 1954, The story of the century. Maryborough Vic.1954.
- ↑ Flett, J. Maryborough Victoria: Goldfields history. Melbourne: Poppet Head. 1975.
--Beth Kicinski 16:53, 30 May 2012 (EST)