A suburb south west of Ballarat, including around Victoria Park, Ballarat's largest open parkland. It is bordered by Gillies Street to the west, Sturt Street to the north, Pleasant Street to the east and Winter Street to the south.
The population at the 2016 census was 1,900.A post office opened in 1865 on the corner of Eyre street, nearby to H.Thomas butcher's shop and cottages. The first residential subdivisions occurred in 1867 with 50 lots released.
Newington Estate Gold Mining Company, a deep lead mining company was established in Ballarat West in 1865.