Plank Road

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Jump to: navigation, search

Researchers should be wary of historic street locations as the streets of Ballarat and surrounds have been renumbered over the years.



Plank Road was a street in Ballarat, Victoria from 1858-1868. Before 1858 it was called Main Street, and after 1868 it was known as Main Road. It becomes Geelong Road south of the city.[1] There is considerable overlap in the use of the names through the years.

Origin of the Name

The Plank Road was named because it was built with a surface of wooden planks. James Darby built the Plank Road in the 1850's:

One of the first contracts undertaken by him was the construction of the 'plank road' connecting Ballarat East with the northern boundary of what is now known as Buninyong Shire. His line of planks carried for many years the heavy traffic between Geelong and Ballarat, and was finally replaced by ordinary road metal. [2]
To Storekeepers, Butchers, &c.
Dissolution of Partnership.
MITCHISON BROTHERS are instructed by Messrs Martin and Jasper, who are dissolving partnership, to sell by public auction, on the above named day, on the premises, Plank Road, adjoining the Prince Regent Hotel, and opposite the Eagle Store-
Those substantially built wooden premises, long established as a butchery and general store, with dwelling room, slaughter yard, &c., &c.
Also a miscellaneous general stock, including-
Teas, sugar sardines
Fruits, pickles, salad oil
Weights and scales, gold ditto ditto
Show canisters, and a variety of sundries,
without any reserve.
The auctionees would remind intending purchasers, that this business has been some years established, and is immediately adjoining the newly formed Chinese camp.
Sale at Twelve o'clock.

Businesses and people in Plank Road

Address known

Address unknown

Patrick Ardagh, shoemaker (<1858>)

L. Benick, watchmaker and jeweller (<1858>)

Boncolls, confectioner (<1858>)

Boston Bakery (<1858>)

Robert Bremner, baker (<1858>)

Bromley, bootmaker (<1858>)

Brown's Canadian Blacksmith (<1860>)

Butchers' Arms, hotel, <1862>

Canadian Hotel, <1862>

Challenger Hotel, <1862>

B. Cook, butcher (<1858>)

Kane and Cairncross, drapers (<1858>)

Labat and Laffargne, bakers (<1858>)

J. Matthews, butcher (<1858>)

J. Odell, brewery (<1858>)

Prince Regent Hotel

Edward Rowe, butcher (<1858>)

Swallow, tent maker (<1858>)

Thomas's Foundry (<1857>)

Mrs Ward, milliner and dressmaker (<1858>)

John Wilcox, shoemaker (<1858>)

See also

Main Street

Main Road

Geelong Road


  1. City of Ballarat, 5 January 2012. Roads and Open Space Index. Ballarat: City of Ballarat
  2. 1912 'REAL PROPERTY.', The Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1912 - 1954), 23 November, p. 1 Section: SECOND SECTION., viewed 10 December, 2013,
  3. The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), Monday 10 January 1859, page 3.

External links

Personal tools