Prince of Wales Hotel (Humffray Street)
- For other hotels with this name, see Prince of Wales Hotel.
The Prince of Wales Hotel was in Ballarat East, Victoria, <1861-1876>
There were at least 10 hotels in Ballarat using the name "Prince of Wales". This makes it difficult to be sure which references are to which hotel.
This page is about the Prince of Wales Hotel in Humffray Street, Ballarat East. It was one of the 40 hotels closed in 1891 in Ballarat East as part of the changes to licensing laws.
The owners were paid £976 compensation for the closure of the business.
OUR ARCHITECTURE. We must not omit to notice that Mr Hunt, of the Prince of Wales Hotel, Humffray street, has nearly completed the erection of a hand- some two-storied brick hotel at the corner of Humffray street and Scott's Parade. The design is by Mr Black, and the building includes some 30 rooms. The cost of erection will be about £1200.
- In 1862 the publican was Thomas Hunt.
- In December 1874 the publican was James Smith.
- In December 1876, the license was transferred from Edwin Prebble to James Jenkins.
- ↑ Hargreaves, John. Ballarat Hotels Past and Present, pg. 16, 1943, Ballarat
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Hargreaves, John. Ballarat Hotels Past and Present, pg. 8, 1943, Ballarat
- ↑ The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864) Tue 24 Jun 1862 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/66325035?
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 "Licencing Court for Publicans," The Star, Thursday 19 June 1862, pg. 4, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66324943, (accessed January 19, 2014)
- ↑ Victoria. Mines Department. Ballaarat gold field. No. 1 [cartographic material] 1861. MAP RM 3915, National Library of Australia, http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-rm3915-sd-cd
- ↑ 1874 'BALLARAT EAST LICENSING BENCH. ANNUAL MEETING.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 15 December, p. 4, viewed 17 December, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article208250314
- ↑ 1876 'POLICE INTELLIGENCE.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 15 December, p. 2, viewed 6 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article199833104