The Propectors' Hotel was at Dead Horse, near Ballarat, Victoria, <1858-1868>
The Prospectors' Hotel was at Dead Horse, three miles from Ballarat. It was put up for auction in 1863 and was described as:
"...well established, and commanding a good trade. The receipts average £55 per week in summer, and £35 per week in winter. The hotel is tastefully erected, and well fitted up; the rooms are large and convenient; the outbuildings and yards are unusually commodious. The gardens are in a high state of cultivation. In short, this hotel, which is in thorough repair, is fully appreciated by a majority of the Ballarat population who weekly resort to this delightful locality."
GPS location: -37.526476, 143.887840 Map: Google map
The hotel had extensive gardens:
"The garden returns £50 annum. There is a permanent supply of water on the premises, which is ingeniously filtered into an immense tank."
In December 1858 a number of Christmas sports were organised at the hotel:
PROSPECTORS' HOTEL, DEAD HORSE LEAD. Mr A. A. Fleischauer, the proprietor of this hotel has determined not to be behind-hand with his brother publicans, and offers good prizes to the winners in goose and turkey shooting matches, foot races, catching greasy-tailed pig, running in sacks, &c, &c, and his enterprise will doubtless be duly rewarded with the patronage of the public.
In August 1868 the hotel was a venue for a public meeting for candidates for the Bungaree Roads Board.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "Advertising, Prospector's Hotel," The Star, Saturday 9 May 1863, pg. 3, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article72556860, (accessed January 17, 2014)
- ↑ Victoria. Mines Department. Ballaarat gold field. No. 1 [cartographic material] 1861. MAP RM 3915, National Library of Australia, http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-rm3915-sd-cd
- ↑ 1858 'CHRISTMAS AMUSEMENTS ON BALLARAT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 27 December, p. 3. , viewed 12 Jun 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66332996
- ↑ 1868 'Advertising.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 6 August, p. 3, viewed 24 December, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article113846386
- ↑ 1859 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 28 May, p. 2, viewed 28 December, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66053306
- ↑ 1861 'LICENSING SESSIONS.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 14 June, p. 1 Supplement: SUPPLEMENT TO THE STAR., viewed 20 January, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66339909
- ↑ 1862 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 25 June, p. 4, viewed 17 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66325055