Rowlands and Lewis
Originally the firm was established as Rowlands and Lewis, the business being established as far back as 1854. At the begining business was conducted in a canvas tent on the edge of Lake Wendouree.
There is a reference to Rowlands Cordials in the Ballarat School of Mines Magazine Vol 3, No. 3, May 1900, pages 8 & 9. It refers to the quality of the water used, the speed of processing, the machines used and the cleaning of the bottles. It states for the saccharine drinks, Gong Gong Reservoir water is used.
The business eventually became Rowlands Soft Drink Factory.
The water used at this time, is from a spring at the foot of Mount Warrenheip.
Alban Atwood, general manager (<1887>)
- ↑ Ballarat Heritage Precincts – Statements of Significance 2006.
- ↑ ’’Huxtables Ballarat Directory for the Year 1858’’, page 43. [Federation University Australia Historical Collection.]
- ↑ Ballarat and Vicinity page 78.