Royal George Hotel
The Royal George Hotel was a hotel in Ballarat, Victoria, 1863-1892. The site has been used for hotels from 1860-2014>
The Royal George Hotel was the name for the hotel from about 1863 until about 1892. The first hotel on the site was Jackson's Hotel, from 1860-1863. After the forced hotel closures in Ballarat in the 1890's, the Royal George was renamed the Federal Hotel. In 1913 it was renamed as the Railway Hotel until the 1970's. For a time it was known as the Regent Tavern. In 2013 it was opened as Jackson's & Co.. In 2016 the hotel became the The Sporting Globe Hotel.
The Royal George Hotel was on the south west corner of Lydiard Street and Mair Street. The site had been the location of Ballarat's original post office, first in a tent, and later in a wooden building, as recreated at Sovereign Hill. The hotel was built in 1860, and has been used as a hotel since then.
- In 1863 the publican was Frank Robertson.
- In July 1864, P.McCann applied for the license but withdrew the application before the court hearing.
- In July 1864 the license was granted to Robert Burrell Dent.
- In September 1887 the license was transferred from Alfred Hardware to James Charles Meadway.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Jacksons & Co, 2013, http://www.jacksonsandco.com.au/history, accessed 11 February 2014
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 1863 'BALLARAT WEST PUBLICANS' ANNUAL LICENSING MEETING.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 12 June, p. 4, viewed 10 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article72514938
- ↑ 1864 'DISTRICT PUBLICANS' LICENSING MEETING.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 2 July, p. 4. , viewed 12 Oct 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66346137
- ↑ 1864 'DISTRICT PUBLICANS' LICENSING MEETING.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 2 July, p. 4. , viewed 19 Oct 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66346137
- ↑ 1887 'BALLARAT LICENSING COURT.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 3 September, p. 2, viewed 25 October, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article207774046