- There was also a Swan Hotel in Carngham, Victoria.
The Swan Hotel was a hotel in Ballarat, <1858-1864>.
The hotel was offered for sale in May 1857:
To Wine and Spirit Merchants, Capitalists, Speculators, Investment Societies, &c, &c. UNPARALLELED OPPORTUNITY ! Highly important to all parties wanting a good Business in a rapidly improving locality. SPLENDID HOTEL IN A COMMANDING SITUATION IN The Township of Ballarat West. WC. SMITH is honored with instructions from the Proprietors to sell per private contract That well-established first-class house known throughout the district as The Swan Hotel, standing on a full Government corner allotment, having a frontage of 82 feet 6 inches to Dana-street, by 132 feet to Dawson-street; contains 25 rooms, 10 of which are bedrooms fitted up with great taste. The Bar, measuring 21 x 17 feet, is handsomely papered and fitted. There is an entrance hall opening from Dana-street, leading into private sitting rooms, with bedrooms attached ; and to a spacious dining-room. Adjoining Bar is a large and beautiful ball-room, constantly used for balls, concerts, public meetings, &c., &c. At the junction of the two streets is a Commercial Room, with fittings of the richest description. There is a store-room, kitchen; pantry, wash-house, stables, pig-styes, &c, &c. The Hotel, in fact, contains every requisite for carrying on its rapidly increasing business. The whole of the arrangements in this establishment are of the most superior kind. The Proprietors have always especially cultivated a business of the most respectable and permanent kind. The daily improving business they have got shows how well they have succeeded. W. C. S. would in conclusion remark, that he has no hesitation whatever in strongly recommending the above to the public, as the elevated and central situation the Hotel occupies, and being in one of the leading thoroughfares, surrounded as it is by several of the principal " Leads," it must always command a first-class business. Terms, very liberal. For cards to view this valuable property, and all further information, apply to W. C. SMITH, Auctioneer and Land Agent, Colonial Land Office, Sturt-street, Ballarat.
In June 1858, the location was simply described as the township. The mining map of 1861 shows the hotel on the north west corner of Dana Street and Doveton Street. In 2015 this was the site of the Harris Scarfe store.
- From at least June 1858 to May 1859 the publican was Margaret Canovan or Canavan.
- In July 1864 the publican's license was granted to J. B. Frewer.
- ↑ 1857 'Advertising', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 29 May, p. 1. (ADVERTISING SUPPLEMENT TO THE STAR), viewed 24 Jul 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66042419
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 1858 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT. Friday, 18th June.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 21 June, p. 2, viewed 26 October, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66048774
- ↑ Victoria. Mines Department. Ballaarat gold field. No. 1 [cartographic material] 1861. MAP RM 3915, National Library of Australia, http://nla.gov.au/nla.map-rm3915-sd-cd
- ↑ 1859 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 28 May, p. 2, viewed 28 December, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66053306
- ↑ 1864 'DISTRICT PUBLICANS' LICENSING MEETING.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 2 July, p. 4. , viewed 10 Oct 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66346137