Waubra is a small town northwest of Ballarat.
Origin of the name
The town was originally called "The Springs". It was renamed in 1889 after the Waubra tribe of the Wuatharong people, who were the original inhabitants.
Major Mitchell passed close to the site of the town on his explorations of 1839. The first European settler was John Warne who established a pastoral run in 1857.
Geography and climate
- ↑ Stephens, Kim. March 8, 2013. 50 towns in 50 days: "Waubra's all right, there's no doubt about it.", Ballarat Courier, http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/1345906/50-towns-in-50-days-waubras-all-right-theres-no-doubt-about-it/