The Ballarat Pottery was established by George Marks.
In 1861, George Marks established a pottery on Creswick Road, Ballarat, near the Ballaarat Old Cemetery. There with the help of four boys he produced salt-glazed drain pipes, chimney pots and tiles for Ballarat builders as well as a quantity of wheel-thrown jars, flower pots and saucers, water monkeys, bread pans, butter pots, ginger beer bottles, etc.
In 1878, Marks established a second pottery in Adelaide, leaving the running of the Ballarat Pottery mostly to his new partner Samuel Coyte. Within a few years the pottery ceased to produce domestic wares although it continued making pipes and fittings until 1928, when it was taken over by Martin Stoneware Pipe Ltd.
All but one chimney of the factory and kilns were demolished in the 1960s, with the bricks being used to construct the Old Ballarat Village opposite Sovereign Hill..
The Ballarat Pottery was established after the arrival of George Marks. According to an invoice in 1895 Ballarat Pottery was located in Creswick Road and was a partnership between Marks and Coyte.( In that year they were making drain pipes, flower pots, jars, chimney tops, etc. The works of the Ballarat Pottery were destroyed by fire in 1922, and in 1927 the company was purchased by Creswick Brick, Tile and Potteries.
In 1938 Ballarat Pottery Pty Ltd was a part of Martin Stoneware Pipe Ltd, and was located at 306 Creswick Road.
- ↑ Ballarat Star, 16 August 1870.
- ↑ (Geoff Ford, Australian Pottery: The First 100 Years, 1995, p. 242.
- ↑ Ballarat Heritage Precincts Study. Part A. Volume 4. Creswick Rd & Macarthur St Heritage Precinct, 2006, page 10
- ↑ University of Ballarat Historical Collection [Cat. No. 4826].
- ↑ Mitchell, James. (c. 1972). Progress in the Shire of Ballarat. Ballarat: Shire of Ballarat.
--C.K.Gervasoni 13:21, 21 February 2011 (EST),--E. Rochelmeyer 15:40, 7 December 2011 (EST)