British Hotel (Creswick)

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Revision as of 10:16, 4 November 2016 by Peter Waugh (Talk | contribs)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to: navigation, search
For other business with the same or similar names, see British Hotel.

The British Hotel was a hotel in Creswick, Victoria, 1854-2007>.



The hotel was first licensed in 1854 and the block was purchased after the hotel was built:

This day the postponed government sale of crown lands in the township of Creswick came off in the police office here. There was a fair attendance of buyers, and a spirited competition displaced in the purchase of some eligible lots reaching so high a figure as at the rate of £660 per acre. Several lots were reserved, and of those sold, parties who had stores and domiciles erected upon the premises were generally the successful bidders. The whole proceeds of the day's sale amounted to something near £1300. An upset price of £8 per acre was fixed upon most of the lots, except in the cases of Colliers and Rogers' Hotels, where improvements were set down in the valuations at £4500 and £6500 respectively, and these were knocked down without any opposition at an upset price of £50 per acre.[1]

The first owner was James Rogers, and it was known as Rogers' Hotel, and Rogers' British Hotel, becoming the British Hotel in 1871.[2]

The hotel ceased trading in 2007 after it lost its betting licence.[3] As of 2015, the building is still standing, but unoccupied. Squatters and vandals have been causing damage at the hotel.[4]


The British Hotel was in Creswick.[5] The hotel is now at 45 Albert Street, Creswick.[2]

The license for the hotel was reviewed in January 1916.[6]


The hotel was described in the license application in June 1864 as:

JAMES ROGERS, Publican, house in Albert street, Creswick; rented to applicant; three (3) sitting rooms, four (4) bedrooms; now licensed; sign, British Hotel.[7]

The hotel was extensively damaged by a fire in March 1871:

DESTRUCTIVE FIRE AT CRESWICK. (ABRIDGED FROM THE CRESWICK ADVERTISER.) The largest and most destructive fire which occurred on Creswick since the great conflagration of 1869 occurred on Sunday, the 26th. About half-past 12 noon, when most of the citizens were worshipping in the various churches, the sound of the fire-bell struck out faint, but yet, in the time of the day, unmistakable. In the Wesleyan Church, the nearest to the fire,the first sounds struck home, and the mayor, one of the first to leave, rushed out, and finding that it was the British Hotel on fire, rushed back again, and leaving his coat with Mrs. Gardiner, proceeded with a large number in all haste to the scene of the conflagration. When they arrived, flames were seen issuing from the garret window, the servants' bedroom of the British Hotel. The premises were quickly surrounded with a host of willing hands, who proceeded in the first place to save the stock and furniture of Mr. Walton, who for some weeks past has been laid down with inflammation. Mr. Jebb took care of Mr. Walton, and helped him across to the Commercial Hotel, and a hundred willing hands bore the greater portion of his stock and furniture out of danger. They then proceeded to save the stock of Mr. J. T. Lennon, draper, and the Misses Tranton, and succeeded in saving nearly the whole. The fire meanwhile was raging with great fury in the upper portion of the buildings, overpowering the efforts of the brigade, whose whole force was concentrated on this particular spot. Captain Orr, who was at church when the fire-bell sounded, was quickly on the ground, and directed the proceedings, but from the first it was seen that it was hopeless to attempt to save the main building. The whole was of wood, and so constructed that the brigade had the utmost difficulty in reaching it at all. The chief efforts were therefore directed in confining the conflagration to the block of buildings comprised by the British Hotel, with the shops of Messrs. Walton, Lennon, and Miss Tranton. Happily the wind was favourable, blowing from the south; had it been otherwise, nothing could have saved the whole block on the same side of Albert-street from being destroyed. As it was, it occupied tho whole of the attention and time of the brigade, who, after they had got into full play, worked with a will to arrest the flames from taking hold of the main buildings of the Messrs. Williams Brothers, butchers. Their small office nearest to the hotel was pulled down, and this was felt as giving additional security to the main block beyond. The stores of the Messrs. Williams Brothers, Stahmer, and Janssen were almost cleared out and ready, and Mr. Wrighton, of the Bank of Australasia, had all his papers, &c, packed waiting for a quick exit had the wind turned in that direction. For some time it was feared the buildings of Messrs. Sadgrove and Holley opposite were in danger, and every precaution was taken to save them, but fortunately the wind, as before observed, was favourable, and the labours of the brigade and the host of willing helpers confined it to the first block. The building was the property of the Loyal Prince of Wales Lodge, M.U., purchased some months since, and fitted up and let by the officers of the lodge as hotel and stores. We understand they are insured first in the Liverpool, London, and Globe for £600, and in the National for £400, perhaps a little over a half the worth of the property. Mr. G. Birch, who very recently took the hotel, and has gone to very great expense in connexion with it, was insured in only £200. Very great sympathy is felt for Mr. Birch, being an old resident and deservedly respected, as his loss will be considerable. We understand Mr. Lennon is insured in £500, and Mr. Walton in £300, but what the actual losses are will only be ascertained after examination. The brigade continued their labours to the end, and the afternoon was occupied in suppressing the bursting flames and putting out the burning embers. By evening all the fire was thought to be extinguished, and the crowds gladly got away to their homes, but the flames burst out afresh during the evening, and every effort had to be put forth to keep the fire down.[8]

In June 1871 the vacant block where the hotel and shops had stood was offered for sale.[9]


In 1861 the hotel was granted a billiard license.[5]

Community Involvement

Works Produced

Workplace Relations

The People


See also



  1. 1854 'CRESWICK'S CREEK.', The Age (Melbourne, Vic. : 1854 - 1954), 20 December, p. 5, viewed 9 August, 2015,
  2. 2.0 2.1 2.2 Save the British Hotel, Creswick : Beyond Melbourne - Melbourne, Victorian & Australian Architecture Topics,, accessed 9 August 2015
  3. Creswick residents rally to save pub, Ballarat Courier, 25 June 2012,, accessed 9 August 2015.
  4. McGrath, Gav, Vandals target iconic Creswick pub, Hepburn Advocate, 19 January 2015,
  5. 5.0 5.1 5.2 1861 'PUBLICANS' LICENSES.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 24 June, p. 2 Supplement: SUPPLEMENT TO THE STAR., viewed 7 July, 2014,
  6. 1916 'CRESWICK LICENSING DISTRICT.', The Ballarat Courier (Vic. : 1869 - 1878; 1914 - 1918), 19 January, p. 1 Edition: DAILY., viewed 9 August, 2015,
  7. 7.0 7.1 1864 'Advertising', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 23 June, p. 3. , viewed 03 Nov 2016,
  8. 8.0 8.1 1871 'DESTRUCTIVE FIRE AT CRESWICK.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 28 March, p. 7, viewed 9 August, 2015,
  9. 1871 'Advertising', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 6 June, p. 3. , viewed 17 Jul 2016,
  10. 1886 'CRESWICK.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 22 December, p. 4. , viewed 30 May 2016,

Further Reading

External Links

Personal tools