Buninyong Tannery

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Revision as of 01:00, 23 February 2013 by Sallyanne Doyle (Talk | contribs)
Jump to: navigation, search



On 13 August 1860 Herbert Henry Burrington purchased the Buninyong Tannery site. Burrington came from a long line of tanners and curriers in Crediton, Devon, and had immigrated to Victoria in 1852. Around 1856, he established a tannery in Ballarat, between Sturt St. and Wendouree Parade. He sold this to James Lang, and established the tannery at Buninyong. [1]


Early in 1862 the tannery was sold to Andrew Charles Davies, saddler, who had been in Ballarat and Buninyong since the early 1850s. Davies was in Buninyong in 1854. An Advertisement in the Ballarat Times of 21 October 1854 lists 'Davies and Sons, saddlers, harness makers and leather sellers, Lydiard St. and next to the Crown Hotel, Buninyong.' In the 1865 Buninyong Directory, Davies and Sons are listed as ‘tanners’, and George Coyle is the manager of the tannery in Learmonth St.[2]


On the Union Jack Creek, Buninyong


Community Involvement

Works Produced

Workplace Relations

The People


See also

Recommended Reading


  1. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~buninhis/newsletters/12_aug.pdf
  2. http://home.vicnet.net.au/~buninhis/newsletters/12_aug.pdf

Further Reading

External Links

--Beth Kicinski 14:21, 25 July 2012 (EST)

Personal tools