The Clarendon Hotel was a hotel in Ballarat, Victoria, <1859-1864>.
This description was published in June 1864:
HENRY CONWELL, Lydiard street, Ballarat. Wooden building, containing thirteen rooms, and at present licensed under the sign of the Clarendon Hotel.
On the 21st of April the first Eight Hour day event was held in Ballarat. Over time these events raised funds to build Ballarat Trades Hall.
- THE EIGHT HOUR MOVEMENT - The friends of this movement had a grand field day on Wednesday. The operative masons, who have given the initiative to the position taken on Ballarat, in connection with the movement for the reduction of the hours of labor, held a sort of grand reunion, and they, with such of the branches of the community that supported the movement, inaugurated the first anniversary of the same with a grand procession and a banquet. At 2pm the members of the association met at the Clarendon Hotel, and proceeded down the Golden Point road, at which stage of the proceedings they were joined by the White Flat Company (who recognise the eight hours principle). They then went along the Red Hill, and marched on to the Main road. Up this next went the procession until they marched the western township, through the streets of which they proceed with flags and banners painted by Mr St Quentin, and illustrating the principles of the association. At 5pm a dinner in celebration of the day, was held at the Clarendon Hotel, where Mr Cameron, the landlord, well fulfilled his part for the occasion. The chair was taken Dr Stewart, Chairman of the Western Municipal Council. When the cloth had been removed and the usual loyal toasts proposed, the chairman proposed the toast of the “eight hour movement,’ which was responded to Messrs St. Quentin and Ryce. The Vice Chairman then proposed the "architects and builders, and contractors of Ballarat” which was acknowledged by Mr Frances. Dr Allison then gave the toast of the "'apprentice masons,” to which Mr Powell the vice chairman (and secretary) responded. Mr Barker of Messrs Evans and Barker responded then proposed “the carpenters” and Mr Brown “the bricklayers” after which the chairman gave the toast of " the miners of Ballarat,” and Mr W C. Weeks replied on behalf of that rather numerous fraternity, and much applause, making use at the time of the remark that "upon the pages of masonry was written the history of the world." Mr Brown then proposed the "bricklayers and plasterers," and after that came the press. This concluded the list of toasts, after which the complimentary health drinking followed and the evening terminated amid the utmost harmony.
- From at least May 1859 to June 1862 the publican was Robert Cameron.
- In July 1864 the publican was Henry Conwell.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1864 'Advertising', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 23 June, p. 3. , viewed 20 Oct 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66345902
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 1862 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 18 June, p. 2, viewed 12 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66324917
- ↑ Ballarat Star, Thursday 22nd April 1858.
- ↑ 1859 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 28 May, p. 2, viewed 28 December, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66053306
- ↑ 1864 'DISTRICT PUBLICANS' LICENSING MEETING.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 2 July, p. 4. , viewed 19 Oct 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66346137