From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
Revision as of 05:33, 2 March 2014 by Cgervaso
- A meeting of the Committee formed to arrange for local soldiers send off, was held in the school on Wednesday evening, there being present- Messrs. John Bennett, W. Delahey, M. Condon, J. Cooper, W. Wells, J. Wightman, W. Cain, W. Allan, R. J. Alkemade (Hon. Sec.) and A. B. O'Hara (in the chair). Collections, amounting to £10/7/6 were handed in, and it was decided to present each of the soldiers who have gone to the front, and to those in camp, who enlisted from Coimadai, with a gold medal, suitably inscribed. A discussion was held on the advisability of holding the usual send-off social, and it was decided that, in view of the state of the Camps through meningitis, it would not be advisable to bring the soldiers together, even if it were possible. It was therefore decided to forward the medals to the men in Camp, and to the parents of those already at the Front. Mr. R. J. Alkemade and Mr. A. B. O'Hara were deputed to secure a suitable medal and inscription. The names of the soldiers already at the Front, and in Camp, from this district are -Wm. Clark, Percy Oswin, Alex. Driever (at the Front); James Johansen, James Bourke, Arch. Clark, David Coghlan, Bert Coghlan, William Bennett and Ted. Hales (in Camp). The sum of £7/10/ has been collected locally, by Miss Alice O'Hara, for the sick and wounded soldiers, and it is now proposed to hold an entertainment in aid of the Bacchus Marsh Red Cross Fund. It is hoped that the good work started locally will be continued, and heartily supported.
- Gunner David James Coglan (one of the two fighting sons of Mr. and Mrs. D. Coghlan, Coimadai) is reported wounded, after nearly two years service. 
Lieut D. Coghlan, of Coimadai, near Bacchus Marsh, is wounded, and dangerously ill in hospital. This is the second time he has received wounds.
- ↑ Melton Express, 11 September 1915.
- ↑ Melton Express, 3 November 1917.
- ↑ Gordon, Egerton and Ballan Advertiser, 20 September 1918.
--C.K.Gervasoni 14:37, 2 March 2014 (EST)