George Chapman was one of the earliest miners on the St Arnaud field where he had claims and leases on Chrysolite Hill. By 1862 he was in partnership with Butcher and Tenny, operating a crusher on the St Arnaud Creek. In 1867 he suffered a severe accident while working at a mine on Gap Hill, was partially paralysed, and gave up mining, but bought land at Cope Cope and farmed successfully there. He died on 2 August 1887.
In 1862 [the crushing machine owned by Coleman located south of the creek at the Wilson's Hill settlement at St Arnaud] was taken over by Butcher, Chapman and Tenney, and operated by them for many years, their plant being known as "the public battery" at a time when mining had become principally a company concern. Butcher, Chapman and Tenney were an independent company and although they frequently contracted to crush stone for various companies, the public could always cart small loads of stone to this machine. 
- ↑ Birrell, Ralph Winter (2008). A New Bendigo – The story of the Gold & Silver Mines of St. Arnaud." R.W. Birrell, Strathfieldsaye, Victoria, Australia
- ↑ Palmer, Yvonne S (1980). Track of the years : the story of St. Arnaud (3rd ed). St. Arnaud Mercury Print, St. Arnaud, Vic
--Neil Huybregts 14:12, 19 August 2015 (AEST)