Golden Fleece Hotel (Lydiard Street)
- For other Golden Fleece Hotels, see Golden Fleece Hotel.
The Golden Fleece Hotel was in Ballarat, Victoria, 1854>
...In Lydiard street where the Colonial Bank now stands, there was a building known in Stockade days, as the Arcade. It subsequently became the Golden Fleece Hotel...
The hotel was built in 1854 which makes it among the earliest hotels in Ballarat. The hotel was built by William Surplice. Withers recorded in 1888 that Surplice was a surveyor. The publican, Worth was:
"...a teller in the Bank of New South Wales, who threw up the concern in disgust because of some alleged immoralities on the part of two occupants of the house. Redman, less fastidious or more hopeful, stepped into the breach, and he is eloquent to this day upon the dodges and difficulties that surrounded the license question as it concerned the fortunes of the Fleece at that time."
- In 1854 the hotel was owned by its original owner and licensee, Charles Surplice.
- In 1854 the publican was named Worth. When he left, George Redman took over.
- In 1858 the hotel was operated by Robert Burrell Dent and Joseph Southward. Their partnership ended in September 1858, and Dent carried on at the hotel.
- In May 1859 Robert B. Dent's application for the license was postponed for 14 days. The hotel being named as Dent's Hotel.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 Hargreaves, John. Ballarat Hotels Past and Present, pg. 2, 1943, Ballarat
- ↑ The Ballarat Star Sat 5 Mar 1870 page 3
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 1888 'BALLARAT CHRONICLES AND PICTURES.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1924), 23 July, p. 4. , viewed 20 May 2016, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article209445046
- ↑ 1858 'Advertising.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 15 September, p. 3, viewed 28 December, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66050186
- ↑ 1859 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 28 May, p. 2, viewed 28 December, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66053306