- There was also a Jackson's Hotel in Victoria Street.
Jackson's Hotel was a hotel in Ballarat, Victoria, 1860-1863. It was the first hotel on a site has been used for hotels from 1860-2014>
The first hotel on the site was Jackson's Hotel, from 1860-1863. The name was changed to the Royal George Hotel from about 1863 until about 1892. After the forced hotel closures in Ballarat in the 1890's, the Royal George was renamed the Federal Hotel. In 1913 it was renamed as the Railway Hotel until the 1970's. For a time it was known as the Regent Tavern. In 2013 it was opened as Jackson's & Co.. By 2017 it was known as the Sporting Globe Hotel.
Jackson's Hotel was on the south west corner of Lydiard Street and Mair Street. The site had been the location of Ballarat's original post office, first in a tent, and later in a wooden building, as recreated at Sovereign Hill. The hotel was built in 1860 by John Jackson.
In July 1862, the hotel was granted a billiard license.
The original Jackson's Hotel building, erected in 1860, is still in use. A copy of the 1890's verandah, demolished in 1964, was rebuilt in 2013.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 1.6 Jacksons & Co, 2013, http://www.jacksonsandco.com.au/history, accessed 11 February 2014
- ↑ 1862 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 11 July, p. 4, viewed 29 April, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66325443
- ↑ 1862 'DISTRICT POLICE COURT.', The Star (Ballarat, Vic. : 1855 - 1864), 18 June, p. 2, viewed 12 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article66324917
--Mjeffs 15:10, 9 October 2018 (AEDT)