John Browne of Moppianum Station purchased sheep from the Linton family. When gold was found on Moppianum station the rush was named Brown's Diggings. He sole his pre-emptive right to the Scarsdale Gold Mining Company. 
John Browne was born on 24 May 1818 at Carleton, Borgue, in the Scottish Lowlands near Dumfries. He was the son of a farming family, his father reporting at the 1851 census that he employed five labourers to work his 328 acres. Browne arrived at Port Phillip in 1840. The 30,000 acre pastoral run of Moppiananum was originally licensed to Captain Charles Henry Ross in 1841, and included present-day Ross Creek. After Ross returned ‘home’ in 1843 it passed into the hands of George Forbes. In early 1850 Forbes transferred the station to John Browne and Thomas Sproat, who was also a Dumfries man. The pastoral run was then estimated to be capable of grazing 1200 head of cattle and 9000 sheep. Browne purchased 960 acres as his pre-emptive right on both the Moppiananum and Piggoreet West runs.
- ↑ McGrath, Patrick, The Story of Browns and Scarsdale, Jim Crow Press, 1912
- ↑ http://prov.vic.gov.au/publications/provenance/provenance2014/scots-at-springdallah#_ednref11, accessed 10 July 2-16.