Railway Hotel (Lydiard Street)
- For other Railway Hotels, see Railway Hotel.
The Railway Hotel was a hotel in Ballarat, Victoria, 1860-1863. It was the fourth hotel on a site has been used for hotels from 1860-2014>
The first hotel on the site was Jackson's Hotel, from 1860-1863. The name was changed to the Royal George Hotel from about 1863 until about 1892. After the forced hotel closures in Ballarat in the 1890's, the Royal George was renamed the Federal Hotel. In 1913 it was renamed as the Railway Hotel until the 1970's. For a time it was known as the Regent Tavern. In 2013 it was opened after extensive renovations as Jackson's & Co.. In 2016 the name was changed again, and it became the Sporting Globe.
On 22 March 1915, the hotel was included on a list of hotels to be deprived of their licenses. This list was complied by the Licenses Reduction Board in Melbourne. The Ballarat West licensing district hearings on this list were to be held on 27 April.
The Railway Hotel was on the south west corner of Lydiard Street and Mair Street. The site had been the location of Ballarat's original post office, first in a tent, and later in a wooden building, as recreated at Sovereign Hill. The hotel was built in 1860 by John Jackson.
- In 1874 the licensee was William Woolstencroft 
- In September 1933 the license was transferred from Nellie V. Davis to Sidney A. Blenkiron.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 1.5 Jacksons & Co, 2013, http://www.jacksonsandco.com.au/history, accessed 11 February 2014
- ↑ 1915 'LICENSES REDUCTION BOARD.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 23 March, p. 10, viewed 13 February, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article1504941
- ↑ The Ballarat Star, 16 Dec 1874
- ↑ 1933 'HOTEL LICENCES TRANSFERRED.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 5 September, p. 13, viewed 27 April, 2015, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article11689093
--Mjeffs 14:35, 9 October 2018 (AEDT)