Royal Navy Hotel
From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
(Difference between revisions)
|Line 77:||Line 77:|
<!-- Insert your signature -->
<!-- Insert your signature -->
Latest revision as of 03:09, 26 May 2019
The Royal Navy Hotel was a hotel in Ballarat, Victoria, 1868-1870>.
It became the Royal Navy Hotel in 1868:
I, SARAH PARKER, now residing in Grant street, Ballarat, in the Colony of Victoria, do hereby give notice that it is my intention to apply to tho Justices sitting at the Court of Petty Sessions, to be holden at Ballarat on the 11th day of July, 1868, for a Certificate authorising the issue of " a Publican's License for a house situated at Skipton street, Ballarat, to be known as the Royal Navy Hotel, containing bar, four sitting-rooms, and ten bedrooms, and at present unlicensed.
In March 1870 there was a fire at the hotel:
Last night a fire broke out, about 11 o'clock, in a public house at the corner of Armstrong and Skipton streets, known as the Royal Navy Hotel, occupied by a person named Gustave Hartmann. The brigades soon came to the relief of the inmates, and managed to extinguish the fire before a great deal of the house was burned. The building was insured for £300, and the stock-in-trade and furniture, over which a merchant held a bill of sale, were insured for £200. The cause of the fire is supposed to have been purely accidental.
DISASTROUS FIRE IN ARMSTRONG STREET, BALLARAT.-Within a few minutes after eleven o'clock on Sunday night flames lit up several well known landmarks, and all were speedily apprised of the fact that the scene of the conflagration was the Royal Navy Hotel, Armstrong street, just at the junction of Skipton street, and between Messrs Osborne Bros' produce stores and the Ebenezer Church. It was the old All Nations Hotel, a wooden building which was long since made in England, and put together in Ballarat. It had several times been removed, and was tolerably well known to most old residents in the alluvial centre. It was composed almost wholly of wood, and was nearly inflammable as a box of lucifer matches. The flames were utterly routed within about twenty minutes. This was not because no more remained to be burnt- as is usual in cases of fire in wooden houses - for by far the greater portion of the building stands, and a great deal of it may almost be said to be intact. The fire evidently originated in the upper portion of the rear of the house, and it was first perceived at the top of the staircase. No one can tell how it commenced, and some think it not a little strange that the flames should have first issued from a part of the house that was not being used. While the flames were at their full height, a member of the Western Brigade pluckily brought out a cash box, and handed it to Mr Hartmann. The furniture and other things which were saved were conveyed to the place near Mr M'Lean's Emu Hotel, where Mr Hartmann will reside for the present, It so happened that Mrs Hartmann left Ballarat on Sunday evening, with a view of visiting some friends at Buninyong, and was consequently absent at the time of the fire.
The building itself was a notable one. It was first, of all imported from Singapore, and has followed the fortunes of no less than four rushes before being erected where it now stands.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Hargreaves, John. Ballarat Hotels Past and Present, pg. 18, 1943, Ballarat
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 1868 'Advertising.', The Ballarat Star (Vic. : 1865 - 1870; 1914 - 1918), 4 July, p. 4, viewed 17 May, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article113845450
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 1870 'BALLARAT.', The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957), 8 March, p. 6, viewed 17 May, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article5814394
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 1870 'DISASTROUS FIRE IN ARMSTRONG STREET, BALLARAT.', Bendigo Advertiser (Vic. : 1855 - 1918), 8 March, p. 3, viewed 17 May, 2014, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article87909776