A municipal township, with telegraph station, savings bank, and money-order office, on Smythe's Creek. 115 miles W by N of Melbourne. There is a branch bank, and the leading insurance companies have agents; several hotels and a State school. The free library contains about 750 volumes. The district is a mining and agricultural one. Population of the town and vicintiy about 900. The railway from Ballarat and Scarsale is now opened up, a distance of 17 miles; fares 2s 9d and 2s 3d from Ballarat.
Smythesdale Mayors (1861–1921)
|John Pounder Roberts||1868-1870|
|Alexander McVitty (died in office)||1870–1873|
- ↑ The Victorian Municipal Directory and Gazetter for 1884, p31.
--Sallyanne Doyle 22:53, 18 September 2012 (EST)