Union Foundry (John Walker and Co.)

From Ballarat and District Industrial Heritage Project
(Difference between revisions)
Jump to: navigation, search
Line 6: Line 6:
 
----
 
----
 
--C.K.Gervasoni 09:52, 10 March 2011 (EST)
 
--C.K.Gervasoni 09:52, 10 March 2011 (EST)
 +
 
--Beth Kicinski 10:19, 2 December 2011 (EST)
 
--Beth Kicinski 10:19, 2 December 2011 (EST)
  

Revision as of 23:19, 1 December 2011

Located in Drummond Street, the Union Foundry was established in 1865, by its original proprietor James Walker, and supplied mining machinery to all parts of Australia. It was so successful that, in 1867, James Walker opened a new branch in Maryborough, Queensland (Bate, 1978) - which later became part of John Walker and Company of Maryborough, Queensland.

In the early 1870s Jonathan Robinson was associated with the foundry. By 1885 John Hickman was advertising in the Ballarat Star in 1885 in relation to the Union Foundry



--C.K.Gervasoni 09:52, 10 March 2011 (EST)

--Beth Kicinski 10:19, 2 December 2011 (EST)



References

Bate, Weston. (1978). Lucky City: The First Generation at Ballarat 1851-1901. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.

Personal tools