Union Foundry (John Walker and Co.)
Located in Drummond Street, the Union Foundry was established in 1865, by its original proprietor James Walker, and supplied mining machinery to all parts of Australia. It was so successful that, in 1867, James Walker opened a new branch in Maryborough, Queensland (Bate, 1978) - which later became part of John Walker and Company of Maryborough, Queensland.
In 1870 the Union Foundry helped bring gas lighting to the township of Clunes - making retorts for the Clunes Gas Company. That same year they manufactured machinery for the Ballarat Meat Preserving Company and a Queensland sugar mill. (Bate, 1978)
--C.K.Gervasoni 09:52, 10 March 2011 (EST)
--Beth Kicinski 10:19, 2 December 2011 (EST)
Bate, Weston. (1978). Lucky City: The First Generation at Ballarat 1851-1901. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.