Victoria Foundry, Ballarat
Victoria Foundry was located in Armstrong Street North of the Stork Hotel by Okey Creber and Co (later Hunt and Opie). It was one of Ballarat's earliest foundries, opening in March 1856. This foundry supplied 14 1/2 inch pipes for pumping the great Redan and Golden Gates Mines.
In 1858 the Victoria Foundry became a key part of Ballarat's industrial scene - being the first local manufacturer of an engine. (Bate, 1978)
By 1960 the Victoria Foundry had completed the first locomotive to be built in Ballarat, and the first to run to Western Australia.
Bate, Weston. (1978). Lucky City: The First Generation at Ballarat 1851-1901. Melbourne: Melbourne University Press.
Spievogel Papers, Volume 3. Ballarat Historical Society, 1987.